Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a 2009 I30 1.4 Comfort. Over the last few weeks it

I have a 2009 I30 1.4 Comfort. Over the last few weeks it has developed an irritating quirk:When driving in a straight line there seems to be a feeling of stickiness when small steering corrections are needed. On winding roads there is no problem at all with the steering feeling positive. Can you make any suggestion as to the likely cause and any suggested remedy.Many thanksKeran Speers

Hello Keran

I'd 1st check out the suspension joints
to 1st check the strut bearing then lightly hold the spring by hand and have your assistant move the steering from left to right with the wheel on the ground - a worn bearing will feel 'notchy' through the spring. The wheel needs to be on the ground for the test to load up the bearing
If this is OK then next check the steering joints by jacking up the car so both front wheels are off the ground and with the keys in the ignition ( to disable the steering lock) but the engine off move the road wheels from lock to lock by hand
the effort should be the same in both directions
if its not then I'd disconnect the track rod end ( steering joint) from one side to see if this helps
if the wheel then moves freely you know its not the strut mount or ball-joint on that side