Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Technical Consultant at Just Answer
14928985

I have a June 2010 BMW 535i. When I got the vehicle in early

Hi. I have a June 2010 BMW 535i. When I got the vehicle in early 2014 I also happened to upgrade from an iPhone 4 to an iPhone 5s in that same week. I went from having full iPhone compatibility to nothing at all...and so it remained until September 2015, despite my many emails to BMW requesting help! I also had to buy a little white adaptor to attach to the original Y-adaptor cable in order to allow the iPhone 5S to connect to the vehicle.
Now, though, I have a problem, all of a sudden. This original Y-adaptor lead, with its bolted-on little white adaptor, has stopped working reliably. Every time I play a track from iTunes this past week when in the car, it will play for a few seconds, the screen will say that I am "not connected" whilst the music pauses, before it then does play again whilst not showing me the track details screen (it just shows me that I am connected).
Once the track has finished, and I want to play another one, this sequence is repeated. As you can imagine, it is very tiring and wearing when this happens on a car journey of any length, with every new song being interrupted in this way!
So I thought to heck with it, and spent nearly £60 on a new Y-Adaptor lead from BMW Cardiff 2 days ago. Not only is this not totally free of these issues but moreover, there is distortion in the music that is played when I use this new cable. Hence I will have to now return this cable to BMW for a refund!
Aarrgghh! What is going on, here, please? I have ensured my iPhone 5S is fully updated with the latest Apple IOS update...and have performed many updates (as required by Apple) since September 2016 without a single problem. So..?
In addition to all of this, when will BMW stop playing the fool and allow me to consider upgrading to a newer iPhone anyway (and to still have compatibility with my car if I did so)? I have driven BMW's since 1998...and am sick of being treated like a second-hand citizen just because I have not gone out this year to get a brand new BMW (when I am sure that a new car would conveniently be compatible with ALL generations of iPhone!!!!).
Thanks in advance for your help. Losing the faith in the BMW brand at the moment...
Regards ***** *****

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

If the dealer has not checked for any updated software for your audio system using their computer or discs this needs to be done.In some cases, all that is needed is updated software installed by a dealer to resolve this issue here.If this is or was done and no updates were found let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Peter,OK - I will contact my local BMW dealership to do this...but are you saying that if there is no updating to be done, or if the updating procedure does not solve my problem then I can contact you again, directly? And at no further charge to myself? How would I "find" you again? Through this messaging between us being stored in the JustAnswer system - and me just messaging you again? Thanks - Jonathan.

Hi Jonathan

You can always come right back here to this post if you need to and we can continue with the same agreement you had set up here.As long as you come back to this post here.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks Pete. Back with you asap after speaking to the BMW dealership. Regards ***** *****

Your welcome.If I do not respond right away when you reply I will respond back as soon as I can.

Thanks Pete