Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Technical Consultant at Just Answer
14928985

Sorento 2005 CRDi engine started cutting out randomly a few

Sorento 2005 CRDi engine started cutting out randomly a few weeks ago and management light would come on. It would then start and drive normally with the light on. The light would go off (again randomly) and then the process would start all over again with engine cutting out etc. So replaced fuel filter, checked tank and sender which are all clean, fuel coming through nicely. Seemed to cure the problem for about a week but then it returned - error code says problem is with high pressure fuel system - replaced common rail sensor - again seemed to cure it for about a week then problem came back. Gave it a full service and that seems to have made it worse as now car struggles to start, kicks out a lot of clue smoke when starting and then dies.
Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: stays on
Assistant: Are you fixing your Sorento yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, but took it to local garage to read the error codes
Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no think thats it
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
140,000 miles
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
140,000 miles
new battery 6 months ago
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
140,000 miles
new battery 6 months ago
won't start at all now
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
140,000 miles
new battery 6 months ago
won't start at all now
done some testing and am pretty certain it's either the High Pressure Fuel Pump or the sensor on it. I think the former is more likely.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

The high-pressure fuel pump can be a common cause for this issue here.If it has not been tested this needs to be done and in some cases, a diesel repair facility will have to do this testing for you with their tools to see if it is faulty.

Another cause can be a fault with one or more fuel injectors allowing to much fuel through causing low fuel rail pressure which can also cause this fault.If you have not had the injectors tested this needs to be done to see if the injectors are at fault needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks Pete for your reply. The testing I did yesterday indicated to me that no fuel is even getting to the fuel filter as I have to manually pump fuel in to get the car started. Once this runs out the car stalls. The sender in the tank appears to be working fine. I can't see any fuel leaks in the fuel pipes from tank to filter and then to HP pump (nor return either) so I again presume this is OK. I know the Bosch pumps have a habit of failing - though can be repaired by replacing all the rubber and plastic O rings (in an ultraclean environment of course). I will have to see if I can get someone to pick up the vehicle on a trailer and then test it. Might cost more than the vehicle is worth!

You're welcome

If your getting fuel to the pump but no fuel after or it does not stay running this is usually a fault with the pump itself.In some cases, they can be rebuilt to correct this issue and in other cases, the pump may need to be replaced.I would have this tested further to be sure that this is the cause here.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete