Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Technical Consultant at Just Answer
14928985

Yesterday one of the two key fobs was working fine then

yesterday one of the two key fobs was working fine then suddenly the remote locking would not work. I had assumed it was a problem with the fob battery. When I got home I checked with my local garage and they confirmed that one fob was sending out a signal OK but the one I had been using wasn't. The problem is that the remote locking will not now operate even with the fob that is ending out a signal and only locks manually. I will replace the battery in the other fob but does this mean that the whole remote locking process needs to be re-programmed?
Assistant: Did the fob come with the vehicle, or did you buy a blank?
Customer: the fob came with the vehicle
Assistant: What is the model/year of your Jaguar?
Customer: X series 2 litre 2003
Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I will take it to the garage just round the corner from me (I have used them for over 25 years and found them very helpful and reliable). Otherwise I haven't tried any fixes myself - just a bit puzzled
Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Thanks I think that is all - I have recently acquired the car second hand but it was a one owner, 67000 miles with a fairly impressive looking service history

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Try holding down the lock and unlock button on the working key fob while standing next to the vehicle and hold these buttons for about 15 seconds to see if this relearns the remote.If this does not work then a shop or dealer will need to try and reprogram it with their computer plugged into your vehicle.If it does not reprogram at all to work then the fault codes need read out of all computers in your model to see what codes are set then those codes are then diagnosed to then help to locate and repair if you have a faulty door lock receiver ecu or another ecu at fault needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I tried holding down the lock and unlock buttons as suggested but this has not done the job of relearning the remote - I unlocked the vehicle manually but within a few seconds this just set the alarm off. I can't take it to my local garage today (Sunday) but will contact them tomorrow to try the next steps you suggest, thanks, Mark

Your welcome Mark

It may need to be reprogrammed by a dealer or shop to allow the remote to work properly again.If this reprogramming does not work though then you will need to have the fault codes checked with a compatible scan tool or computer plugged into your model to help locate if you have a faulty receiver or control unit causing this issue needs to be replaced.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete