Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Technical Consultant at Just Answer
14928985

Have a petrol GV1600 which has had the engine light on for

Hi,Have a petrol GV1600 which has had the engine light on for some time, just changed the O2 sensor following an OBD check and light off, but losing power now up hill on light accelerator, if you put your foot down kicks back into life. Any thoughts

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Has the light come back on again or any other fault codes set?

Is it a lack of power at part throttle but you have full power when your foot is held down on the gas pedal all the way?

Let me know,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No light stayed off, yes to the second one it when we are on the "just past tick over" and applying a little power, then if you go to full power it kicks in, started once yesterday now getting worse. the only other change was when I drove it for the first time I thought it smelt like it ran a bit hotter and smouldered a bit from the exhaust when turned off. Presumed this was as it had been running rich. Car went well runs smoothly just has this lack of power like limp mode

On your engines throttle body is a mass air flow sensor.In some cases, this sensor becomes dirty and needs to be removed and a can of mass air flow sensor cleaner is needed to spray off the sensor to clean it.This can resolve this limp mode or lack of power at slight to part throttle.I would see if cleaning this sensor corrects the issue.

The other cause can be a failing throttle position sensor on the throttle body.If this sensor is sending a false signal this will also create this issue here.

I would have both of these checked, the mass air flow sensor cleaned and the data signals checked for the throttle position sensor at idle to wide open throttle briefly to see if the throttle position sensor needs to be replaced.You may also need to have a fuel trim relearn done with a compatible scan tool or computer plugged into your vehicle since the oxygen sensor was replaced as this sometimes has to be done.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can the LTFT be reset by disconnecting the battery for 30 mins as someone suggested or is this something done through the OBD connection / software

You can try the battery disconnect but if it does not work then a scan tool with the correct software for your model would need to be used, unfortunately.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete