Wolfgang, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Owner at Eurocar Diagnositcs

I have a 2002 Petrol S Type. For some months I have

I have a 2002 Petrol S Type. For some months I have experienced a snatch of jerk when pulling away from stationary position. On two occasions recently I have had a warning message 'Gearbox Fault' appear and the car then only moves in a low gear. I switch off and wait a while and restart and the message clears and the car drives normally. Could this be a Torque converter or gearbox oil level problem? If so can any garage service remedy this or is it a Main dealer issue?

Welcome, I'm Wolfgang.

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

On your issue that hitching part is slippage of the transmission. Recommend the Jag dealer to scan the fault and diagnose the issue . Could be an internal issue with the transmission itself . The Jag dealer will have all the special tools and equipment to diagnose and repair the vehicle .

anything else?

if not.....

I try to be online 365 days a year.

I only earn a paycheck when a customer rates me Ok, Good, Excellent.

This rating is VERY IMPORTANT! Your rating compensates me on my time and my expertise on your issue!

A lot of the repair information and fixes are hard to come by!!

Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page when I have answered all your questions. A 5-star rating is very much appreciated! Rating my answer does not cost you extra. Bonuses are also greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks and my pleasure!

"I am showing that you have given my answer a negative rating. Keep in mind, I can only give you truthful information as simply telling you only what you wish to hear but what may not necessarily be true would only hurt you. If you are upset at your situation but not by the quality of my answer, please consider rerating positively as I am only a messenger. If you simply want more information, feel free to reply and let me know - I am here to help you to your satisfaction. If you have other concerns, reply and let me know. I am here to make sure you are satisfied."

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I did not think your answer said any more than confirm what I had suggested regarding a main dealer. I see from other posts the same fault characteristic is reported, so it is a common fault. What I was looking for was more information on the likely causes so I can discuss sensibly with a repair Garage. To better inform one is precisely what I thought this JustAnswer site is for.

Common or not common fault . There are many different fault codes can be stored and may pertain to different areas or gears of the transmission which that was not mentioned . Giving much more details can broaden the issue and make you queasy if you want to repair or not . Cost is a big factor these days and letting a outside shop may cost you more in the long run .

So did you actually scan test the vehicle ? This scan may narrow down the area of the transmission for diagnosis. ( no information given on that ) . I'm not trying to be blunt but more information that you give me I could shed a light on your issue here.

Help me to help you.