Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Technical Consultant at Just Answer
14928985

2007 AWD Mitsubishi Outlander LHD, steering shimmies/loose

2007 AWD Mitsubishi Outlander LHD, steering shimmies/loose play whilst travelling. gives feeling of being unstable.
was wondering whether it had a steering angle sensor and if so, could it be this or what could it possibly be
many thanks
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Apologies it is RHD.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.If you no longer need help post a simple reply to let me know.

If you have not had the tires checked to see if they are properly balanced this needs to be done.If any of the tires are out of balance on the wheels this will cause this issue.Also, a bent wheel would cause this fault or a tire that is " out of round " or damaged needing to be replaced.These all need to be checked into to then locate and repair this fault here.If these were all already checked let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Pete
Thanks for responding. All types replaced with Dunlop sport 7000. Brand new, steering fluid changed, cv joints checked, lower control arms , everything checked by a professional. Camber and tow, alignment and balancing done. I’ve read on Mitsubishi forums that this seems to be a common problem. I have not been able to isolate an answer that is practical or a solution. I was hoping that you as a professional could assist with that. Many thanks. I’ll await your response. Melitta
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Not types, apologies, Tyres/tires
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Photo of said vehicle

Your welcome Melitta

Does the steering wheel actually shake with this issue?If it does if you apply the brake pedal does it stop or get any better?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Pete
No, it does this whilst traveling straight, on a highway without braking. There is no brake shudder, the steering feels “loose”and insecure whilst driving. Something like “ play” on the steering, creates an unsafe feeling

O.k. I don't see any technical service bulletins on this fault.I did some searching and found the most common cause is failing ball joints in the control arms.This is the most common cause of the feel you have.Also the second most was a weak or worn shock/strut causing a shimmy play feel when driving.If the suspension shocks/struts and ball joints were not checked this needs to be done.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Pete
Thanks very much. Struts were checked, back shocks replaced, I shall check the ball joints in the control arms.
Thanks for the assistance. Will rate as well.

Your welcome