Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Technical Consultant at Just Answer
14928985

I have bmw 5 series 2 litre diesel 2007 175000 miles when

I have bmw 5 series 2 litre diesel 2007 175000 miles when pressing start button it won't start then 15 min later will start.
I had battery changed had glow plugs changed and new clutch as these needed doing .
Even after new battery car was on then couple days later car wouldn't start .when battery was changed they did say starter motor was on and alternator was ok
I did at one time have a message to say about unusual battery drain
Any suggestions many thanks mick

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.If you no longer need help post a simple reply to let me know.

If you do not need to recharge the battery or jump start it when this occurs and it will start eventually this can be due to a fault with the electronic ignition switch.The ignition switch can fail internally acting up with it needing to be replaced for this issue here.I have seen this occur several times in the past before and it had to be replaced.You will need to have this tested to see if this is the cause for sure then replaced from there.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Many thanks for your reply I did break down on Saturday as the car wouldn't start from the push button and had a friend give me a tow and started straight away put battery on charge which didn't take long to say it was fully charged and started ok
I will follow your advice and have the ignition checked.
I haven't been out in the car yet to see if it's still ok but only did a couple of miles yesterday
Kind regards ***** *****

You're welcome

Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks Pete