Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Technical Consultant at Just Answer
14928985

I have a 2011 Sportage KX-2 2.0 Auto - when I apply the

HI, I have a 2011 Sportage KX-2 2.0 Auto - when I apply the brakes the speed indicator drops to zero, then as soon as I apply pressure to the accelerator again the speed indicator returns to the correct position to show the speed. Is this meant to happen? It seems a bit wrong to me.Thanks in advance.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

This isn't normal.This is due to a fault with a loose or corroded ground to the instrument cluster itself in some cases or a fault in the instrument gauge cluster with the cluster needing either removed and sent in for repair to an authorized repair center or removed and replaced.

What has to be done from here is to have the fault codes read out/checked with a compatible scan tool or computer plugged into your vehicles data port to see what codes are set.Once this is done any codes set will then help to diagnose and locate this fault here.

You may have to have the ground signals tested at the cluster as well as other ground signals checked/tested to locate the fault.But this is not normal and I suspect one of these is the cause.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Pete,
Thanks for your response. That figures as this instrument panel was newly fitted just before I bought the car and it may be that it wasn't fitted correctly - I am also getting a few warning lights coming on. I will definitely take the car in to a dealer and have them check the fault codes and take it from there.Thanks again for your answer.
Nick

Your welcome