Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Technical Consultant at Just Answer
14928985

Auto transmission is clunking and going into limp mode (3rd

Auto transmission is clunking and going into limp mode (3rd gear). Would this be a level problem?
Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: Just recently if I switch engine off and restart it then resets to normal operation
Assistant: What is the model/year of your Renault?
Customer: It a 3 litre MK 5 2003/4
Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I will do I was going to drain transmission oil clean the filter and refill
Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.If you no longer need help post a simple reply to let me know.

This wont be a fluid level issue.This is a fault with a component in the transmission.Since you can cycle the key off and back on again and it resets the fault this may be a fault with a component like the valve body or transmission shift solenoids needing replaced.You will need to have this checked/tested further to locate and repair this issue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi PeteThank you for the information. I take it I will be able to connect a normal scanner or is it some kind of transmission specific device that is connected directly to the gear box. I also wondered if it might be an issue caused by a dirty transmission filter causing an oil pressure fault. Once again thank you, ***** ***** on this matter is really appreciated as auto transmission boxes like this aren't my bag although it's always good to broaden ones knowledge.

Your welcome

Usually a normal scan tool can be used but it has to be one that can read all computers in your vehicle to then be able to diagnose it fully.

Usually it wont be a dirty filter at fault here or dirty fluid.This sounds more electrical like a sensor or solenoid at fault.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Pete
If I do find fault with these components is it a job I can do myself or would it have to be dealt with by an auto transmission expert. The reason I ask is that I'm wondering if it would be beyond an economical repair for this age of car. I.e. Would the cost of the repair be more than the car is worth.

It depends on the component at fault.Some can be replaced with maybe $150 in parts and some can require over $300 in parts and the transmission/gearbox removed to then replace it which can cost over 8 hours labor time in which it may not be worth repairing.It all depends on your decision if the vehicle is worth repairing.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Cheers ***** ***** appreciate the advice.

Your welcome