Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Technical Consultant at Just Answer
14928985

A problem has recently starting ocurring on my car. On a

A problem has recently starting ocurring on my car.On a cold start once engine started for about 30-40 seconds I get a rather large rattling sound coming from what sounds like right hand side of bonnet drivers side. This only lasts around 30 seconds and disappears then or straight away as soon as I start driving. This has only started happening recently I've done a few Google searches and most seem to come back with head gasket or timing belt?I'm at 97k with my service due now but my manual states my timing belt doesn't need changing until 120k?My other issue is I am having very heavy coolant drain. I top up and then within a week I'm way below minimum level like waaay below. But I get no warning on dashboard or anything. I have no idea what to check for but my oil filler cap by engine looks damp and the surrounding engine area looks a little damp too?Any help to figure out what could be the issue guys?
I have recorded a video of the rattling but no idea how to upload sorry.Any help appreciated thanks

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

The rattling noise can most commonly be caused by the timing belt tensioner.The tensioner can start to fail and creates a little slack which in turn on a cold start in most cases it will cause this noise but go away shortly after running.Even though your not due to have the belt replaced yet this tensioner can fail.I have also seen valve lifters/tappets start to fail and will cause this noise on a cold start as they can bleed down oil pressure and it takes a bit for them to pump back up with oil once the engine is started.

These will need to be checked into to then locate which is the cause and then repaired from there.

As for the coolant loss issue, it sounds like you have a leak since you have some wet areas.What has to be done is a coolant pressure test with a coolant pressure tester.Most shops or a dealer will have this tester and in some cases, a local parts store can do this testing as well.This will pressurize the cooling system to where once pressurized the leak will appear and then you will see for sure which component is leaking then that component can be replaced.I have seen loose or damaged coolant hoses or leaking water pumps as the main cause but also a head gasket leak as well.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete