Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Technical Consultant at Just Answer
14928985

Got a Ford Fiesta, my key fob won't work, even though I

Hi there, got a Ford Fiesta, my key fob won't work, even though I tried a new battery. Tried the manual key but that doesn't work although it does click and the light flashes in the side mirror. I don't know what to do? Is there anything else I can try? Or should I just call AA?Thankyou
Helen

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

There are a couple of different things that can cause this fault here.First, a weak vehicle battery will cause this issue.I would try to obtain a jump start or a battery re charge and see if this resolves the fault.If it does then I recommend having the battery and alternator tested to see if either of them are an issue needing to be replaced.

If this is o.k. then the electronic remote/key itself can be faulty needing replaced.Even through the battery has been replaced in it this key can cause a no start signal causing this issue.

If a jump start or battery re charge does not work you will have to have the fault codes read out/checked with a compatible scan tool or computer plugged into your vehicle that can read all computers in your vehicle to see what codes are set.This will help to then identify if the key needs replaced or if any other components are at fault needing replaced.AAA can help with a jump start as well as check a few things over for you.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can I ask.... should the manual key work even with a dead battery? If it should then does this mean there's a problem with the central locking system? Sounds like I need to call someone out?
H

If the battery was weak the key would work so there is a chance this is a weak vehicle battery still.It would be best to have the battery checked first to see if any issues are found so you may want to have someone come out to check the battery to see if it is the cause.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The key doesn't work. So how will AA be able to check the battery if I can't get into the car?

They can usually use their tools to open the door to then access the battery.They usually have a door tool they can use to do this.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok great. Thankyou Pete

Your welcome