sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

I have a 61 plate Meriva 1.4s. On start the gauges have

I have a 61 plate Meriva 1.4s. On start the gauges have started to sweep and it has recently developed a 04 error code, instant overheating problem, and cuts out in seconds. The battery was replaced less than a week ago and the mechanic apparently re-wired something at the same time. It’s currently with the dealer I bought it from for repair again... been told it’s the thermostat and water pump but I suspect there is more going on
Assistant: Has the vehicle ever overheated? And when was it last serviced?
Customer: Last service 25/2/18 - by dealer. No evidence of coolant loss, power loss or oil contamination
Assistant: What is the model of your '61 Vauxhall?
Customer: Meriva 1.4s petrol
Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It’s with the dealer - I have only had it since 1st March and it’s broken down twice - first time battery fault. Needed jump starting by mechanic then new battery at dealers expense
Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: i suspect the mechanic who works for the dealer btw has damaged the ecu...

Hello, I am Jose Sebastian. Your mechanic automotive expert, It's a pleasure to me to attend your question. Thank you very much for trust in Justanswer. Are You online?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am awake now

Good day dear customer, did the electric and battery problem already fix?
does your Meriva start and works normally aside from theoverheating?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The battery replacement and whatever rewiring the mechanic did appears to have caused the instrument sweeping.The car starts but shows instant overheating, error code 4 and keeps cutting out.The mechanic ran a diagnostic before arranging vehicle recovery - unfortunately I do not read Polish so I have to rely on the information about faulty thermostat & water pump.The mechanic actually drove the vehicle on to the recovery truck, despite it cutting out repeatedly.It is currently with the dealer for repair, and has been since wed 14/3/18.
Dear customer, immediate overheating shows that the coolant is not circulating. When the thermostat is stuck it blocks the coolant pass and when the gauge is not working in a proper way the coolant does not recirculate. Saying this I want to explain why this procedure is ok.
About the ECU if the vehicle is working OK out of the overheating problem it's possible that it have no
Damages.
Before starting the replacement process I recommend you to do a mericolous check on the temperature sensor because it would indicate that the car is overheating when it's not really happening
Dear customer, if your inquiry is clear, please do not forget to rate my services in the stars rate system.
Have an excellent day.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am not in a position to do such testing - the car is with dealer. I can request the information tomorrow but would have to rely on the information they provide.
Is the instrument sweeping (rev counter & speedo) from 0-max normal for this model year?

Dear customer, would you give me more information about the sweeping? I am not completely sure what you mean. and with the process we have to take, unfortunately you will have to trust in the information they provide or supervise while they are working on.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have tried to send a video however your system will not upload it...Basically when starting the car, the Rev counter goes from 0 to the max poss revs (red line) and the speedo does exactly the same before returning to a normal level (900-1000 rpm & 0mph)I have driven many Vauxhall cars over the years including Corsa Astra Vectra Zafira and Omega models - when started the Rev counters were always in the range of 1000-3000rpm and normal idling revs around 1000rpm. The speedo has never moved from 0mph until the vehicle is underway...
Dear customer, this is a normal process on your car. To verify whether the clock is working.
Is your inquire clear so far?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok. Thank you.
This fact is not available on many forums - in fact the only similar reports of this being normal I could find are for 2014 - 2018 Dodge vehicles.A lot of other forums identify it as being associated with ignition system faults (alternator failure, ecu failure or battery earth issues)