Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a Lexus is220D. The AS have been to it today as it

I have a Lexus is220D. The AS have been to it today as it has a engine management fault. As you pull off and get into 2nd gear it starts to judder, this is not a wheel balance problem. AA man said it's not an injection fault.
What could it be.
Do I need to go to a Lexus garage.
Any idea what it might cost.

do you have any check engine or other fault light on?

if you do then the next step should be to plug in a scan tool and extract the code as this will greatly speed up the diagnosis

if there's no light then this sounds like a lack of fuel and could be a lack of fuel pressure from the electrical pump at the tank.

1st thing to try is to remove the fuel filler cap and then flick the ignition on whilst listening for the brief ‘buzz’ of the pump

If the connections to the pump are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time or could not be running at full speed. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse,
Ideally measure the pressure at the pump entry (should usually be around 3Bar / 45psi +) and if this is low check the pump as described and also consider changing the fuel filter as if this partially blocked this too will reduce pressure.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Engine management and red warning light came on. AA man reset and haven't come back on but problem is still there. He thought it might of been a problem with no1 injector but then said no.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Just got AAtext.
Engine control - 53v / diesel CR / EDG 3.0
STATUS: P0200 - INJECTION VALVES.
ERROR MESSAGE: FAULTY. ERROR. ?

Ok

thanks for that code

possible reason for a P0200 are:

Fuel Injector harness is open or shorted

Fuel injector poor electrical connection

Faulty fuel injector

or a Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM

So I'd begin by disconnecting all the fuel injectors electrically one at a time and clean both sides with contact cleaner , also inspect the injector wiring loom for any chafe damage

If this is all OK then check that the injectors are being operated by the ECU, its hard to hear them ‘clicking’ with back ground noise so if you use a screwdriver like a stethoscope with one end placed against the body of the fuel injector while your assistant cranks the engine
The injectors should ‘click’ as they are cycled on and off

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

glad to help

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt