Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Technical Consultant at Just Answer
14928985

Our Subaru Outlander is 2004 registered, and we have owned

Our Subaru Outlander is 2004 registered, and we have owned it for four years during which time it has been trouble free except lack of air cooling system 2015 when we had the system recharged or whatever you do to it. Now, this winter,we have noticed no heating on the passenger side footwell at all and very little coming through the vents on the dash, whatever the mode. An average amount of heat comes through on the driver’s side but insufficient to warm the whole car. Our garage has tried flushing out the heating system once and tried to remove a possible air lock by standing the car up at the front while running.
Is there anything else you can suggest please. I, the passenger usually, am suffering.
Thank you in advance

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

If both heater core hoses are hot with the engine running and heater on high heat or very warm to hot to the touch this isn't a heater core issue here.

This is due to a fault internally in the heater box itself.I only see you have one air mix door so this controls both the driver and passenger side heat.I suspect this actuator is o.k. since you do have the heat on the driver's side as well as air flow.

But there is a restriction internally in the heater box itself causing this issue.This can be a door that came loose internally or foam internally coming loose blocking temp and flow as I have seen in most cases.I have had to remove the heater box from the interior of the vehicle and take it apart to locate what is causing the restriction issue.

Now if one heater core hose is hot and the other is allot cooler then this is a heater core fault and since it has been flushed and still does not work properly the heater core will have to be replaced.

It will be one of these two things here that are causing this fault needing repaired.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Unfortunately our garage had tried both your suggestions and failed to get any heat through but is now going to try burbing again and flushing through. Another garage we tried just said we needed to replace the heating element/box at some prohibitive cost. It is not looking good sadly.

Let me know if once they burp the system if the issue continues.

Thanks Pete