Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My RX-8 moost of the times doesn't unlock using the FOB key.

Hi. My RX-8 moost of the times doesn't unlock using the FOB key. Therefore I have to unlock it using the key in the driver's door lock. But If I do this, only the driver's door unlocks. The passenger door keeps locked. The same hapens when I try to lock the car. I hear the sound of locking, the side indicators blink but the car stays unlocked. Then I have to lock the passengers door by the inside and lock the drivers door using the key into the lock. When I do this the side indicators don't blink. I have swaped the batery in the Fob key but nothing changed. Can it be the actuator that is faulty?
ThanksAntonio Lorenzo
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Hello Antonio

I'd agree that this sounds like the door lock actuator has a bro***** *****nk rod or other snapped linkage

the next step is to remove the door trim card

see here for a how to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pFmO9TIz7Q

once the trim is off its then case of removing the inner trim panel so you can get to the lock and inspect it

if you need parts then try these RX8 specialist breakers

http://www.nuttysrx8.co.uk/

or

http://bostonrotary.wixsite.com/bostonrotary

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks . I was not so wrong as I expected.

Hopefully its an easy fix. getting the door apart can be quite fiddly

one thing I'd say if you are keeping the car is I'd recommend fitting some sound deadening to the inner door skin as this really helps boost the door speaker performance

I recently did it to my RX8 and its a very cost effective mod to improve the sound

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/152279616990?rt=nc&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908110712%26meid%3Df7c28f66f9864c7b92f816e9723ad133%26pid%3D100677%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D30%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D300894542405%26itm%3D152279616990

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Matt. I have some details about my Mazda and stil concerning the same issue of the locks. When I bought the car it came with only one FOBkey the type you fold the key into the remote's body. As I had a remote at home from my previous RX-8 although different (this is that type of remote that comes separated from the key) I tryed to program it to see if it would work on this car. Not only didn't work as the car didn't lock or unlock using the FOB that came with it. However I tried to lock it later (around 20 minutes later) and it worked fine. By curiosity I decided to test the key in every lock of the car: surprise. The key worked in the ignition, but about other locks only on the airbag pass. I went to a locksmith and he managed to discover that the key was not well cut and made a new one. This new one works in all the locks. And the he decided to check the programing of the key: happened the same that hapenned to me. No response, no lock or unlock. I told him: wait for a few minutes and it will work. This has already happened to me before. And a few minutes later the car was locking and unlocking normaly. Presently I keep the car in my garage and it's usually unlocked. A few minutes ago, I went to the garage and tryed to lock the car. It worked. Right after I tryed to unlock it and nothing: herd the sound of unlocking, the side indicators blinked but the car remained locked. After all this I have two questions:
1-Is it possible the the ECU memelory is full and gets somehow scrambled and sometimes recognizes the key and others doesn't?
2- I have already changed the batery from the remote. I had a new batery at home but it had been here for sometime already. Is it possible that the batery of the remote is worn out and the first signal is strong enough to operate the locks but right after is not that strong and the car doesn't react? If you keep pressing the buttons you hear the lock/unlock sound, but the little levers in the doors just give a little jump and the side indicators don't even blink.What do you think?

the ECU memory won't get full as its not like a windows unit all the processes are hard coded so there's no memory to really fill up

I'd say its possible that you may have a bad connection to one of the modules

might be worth considering a new module set as they come up quite cheap 2nd hand

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mazda-Rx8-231-Ecu-And-Lock-Set-Complete/253471279655?hash=item3b0410ca27:g:ElMAAOSw5dNWq8Cw

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks Matt. I will have a look at this.
Best regards

no problem

this tech bulletin explains how it all works

https://www.mazdabg.com/ftp-uploads/MAZDA%20material%20for%20technician/CT-L1007_en.pdf

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Great Matt. Thanks a lot.

glad to help

Thanks Matt