Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Technical Consultant at Just Answer
14928985

I drive a Land rover LR4 and recently I have noticed that

Customer Question

I drive a Land rover LR4 and recently I have noticed that the vehicle often jerks when I take my foot off the accelerator and as I press down on the accelerator again before it picks up pick it sometimes jerks. Similarly often when I start from a stationary position, and the vehicle is moving about 20 miles an hour if i take my foot off the pedal when i put my foot back on the car suddenly behaves as if i am trying to move faster from a lower gear. to describe the last item again, it makes the sound a car with manual gears will behave if you are driving in gear 3 when you should be driving wi9th first gear, and it makes the sound as if the gear is too low and should be a higher gear because the vehicle has not yet picked up speed enough to be in third gear.
Category: Car
Expert:  Peter Zavarelli replied 3 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Is or has the check engine light or any other warning lights come on with this issue here at all?

Have fault codes been checked for with a compatible scan tool or computer plugged into your vehicle?

Has anything been checked or tested or even replaced to try and locate or repair this issue here?

Let me know, thanks, Pete.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No warning light has come on related to this issue
I am not aware of a compatible scan tool having been plugged to my vehicle
what I have been told is the transmission oil and gear oil may need to be drained and changed
so basically this issue has only come up as a result of the way the vehicle has been responding when i have been driving it, but there have not been any warning lights come on

O.k., what can happen is debris can build up in the transmission/gearbox itself to where it can start to plug passages/ports and can cause this fault here.In some cases just having the oil changed in the gearbox itself will remove the debris and corrects this issue.

The first thing that needs to be done though is to have the fault codes read out/checked with a compatible scan tool/computer plugged into your vehicles data port to see what codes are set.Once this is done any codes set then need to be diagnosed to then help to locate and repair this fault here.

If no codes are set then have the gearbox oil changed out to see if this resolves the fault.If this does not correct this issue then you will need to have the gearbox checked/tested to see if this is an issue with the valve body inside the gearbox needing replaced or possibly a shift solenoid acting up needing to be replaced as these can also cause this issue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks, Pete

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi, you mentioned above that if no codes are set, (what does that mean, do you mean by default the code that should report an error may not be set up to do that), secondly the gear oil you mention that could be changed if there is no code set, is that different from transmission oil as I am being told I may have to buy/change the following: LANDROVE IYK500010 OIL-LUBRICANT QTY 3 , LANDROVE LR007474 PAN - TRANSMISSION OIL QTY 1 as well as LANDROVE TYK500050 OIL-AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION QTY 4. so if it is not clear what needs to be changed do I need to change all these oils, I am assuming gear oil is different from transmission oil. is that correct

What that means is if you have your computers scanned in your vehicle using a scan tool or a computer that can plug into your vehicle to read out any fault codes on your vehicle's computers.If any codes are set on any computers in your vehicle readout with one of those tools then the code that shows up will need to be diagnosed and will help to locate and repair this issue here.

What I meant by gear oil is the transmission oil being changed.I apologize for that.It is just the transmission oil that needs to be changed out.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete