Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Locked out of Range Rover vogue, dead battery, any ideas how

Customer Question

Hi there, locked out of Range Rover vogue, dead battery, any ideas how I can gain access?
Category: Car
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Sent question about dead battery on a Range Rover 02 plate,still awaiting reply about gaining access to the vehicle?,thanks
Expert:  Matt replied 5 months ago.

A flat battery means you can't get the deadlock or alarm system to release its grip

I'd start by charging the battery you should be able to do this via the cigarette lighter / accessory socket. You'll need the appropriate attachment for your charger but car accessory shops sell these- Alternatively if you can't get into the car/ boot the other way to do this is jack the car up so you can get under the front.

Locate the starter motor and the large power cable that runs to it - connect the positive battery charger lead to this terminal

then connect the charger negative lead to the metal of the engine block

This should complete the charging circuit and get some power into the battery allowing you into the car

Expert:  Matt replied 5 months ago.

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have contacted the dealer with regards ***** ***** problem and they reckon that model and year of Rangerover are virtually impossible to gain entry without battery power,they don’t recommend carrying out that procedure with the starter motor,i’ve Been on you tube and they usually always have a solution to a specific problem,but theyr’e saying that this partcular model & year are almost bullet proof(vault on wheels was their answer to this particular issue,according to them and you tube you would need to smash one of the windows to get the bonnet open,then not to jump start the battery,but to remove it and charge it up in the house before replacing it?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I appreciate you trying to help me Matt,but I received an email from Just Answer saying that although they couldn’t help me on this occasion,I would receive25%off my next query,I can only assume they will give me a full refund on this occasion?,thanks anyway Matt for the suggestion,but the dealer has advised me not to as i might incurr mor damage?