Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Technical Consultant at Just Answer
14928985

My 54 plate 120d will not turn over it is just lifeless,

Hi, my 54 plate 120d will not turn over it is just lifeless, sometimes it starts but most of the time I have to keep on going through the procedure of key in, clutch in, button pressed and nothing but maybe the 6-10th time it starts immediately and runs perfect. It will do this when hot warm or overnight, thanks Geoff

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am usually here Monday through Friday and occasionally on the weekends.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

When this occurs are you losing all electrical power to all electronics or just the no crank from the starter occurs and you can still use the radio and lights as well as other components properly?

Let me know, thanks, Pete.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am not sure about trying the other things, the dash lights up as normal, the car is not with me at present so I can't try it
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I do not have the car with me at present

Unfortunately, I am unable to place a call on this myself here.Others here will see you have requested a call and may still call on this.I can, however, continue here.

With the issue you have described here this sounds like a fault with either the starter itself or the starter relay acting up.If you still have all power in the vehicle when this occurs.

I have seen both of these cause this fault here.

What needs to be done is when this issue occurs the starter relay and starter need to be tested electronically to locate which is at fault.This is done with a multimeter to test these.The relay will have power and ground command signals sent to then energize the starter.If all of the signals are present then the starter signals need to be tested.You should have power ( around 12 volts DC ) at the large wire on the starter at all times.You should also have power on the smaller ignition signal wire at the starter when the key is held in the crank position.If you have all of these signals then the starter needs to be replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks, Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Great, thanks for your reply will pass on to my bmw garage who seen to know nothing! Because it is behaving there they will not put it on diagnostics or check switch from clutch pedal. Geoff

Your welcome Geoff.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete