sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

Misfire and in limp mode bmw m3 2007 Assistant: How many

Misfire and in limp mode bmw m3 2007
Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it a steady misfire? Or random?
Customer: 77500 miles misfire all time and loss of power in limp mode
Assistant: Are you fixing your M3 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: My mechanic put his tester on it and fault code 2796 came up but can't find wot the code means
Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I thought it may b the throttle actuator as it had a actuator on bank 1 1000 miles ago before I got the car I don't want to buy a actuator if it's not that

Hello, I am Jose Sebastian. Your mechanic automotive expert, It's a pleasure to me to attend your question. Thank you very much for trust in just answer.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Have a fault code on my bmw m3 2007 the code is 2796 wot does this mean thaught it may b throttle actuator but don’t want to buy a actuator if it’s not going to cure fault

Ok, error code 2796 means "throttle flap: adaptation wrong".
could you tell me how many miles have your car? thanks.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Car has 77500 on clock
How do I fix that

Dear customer, have you done maintenance to the throttle body system recently? incluiding throttle body and the admission.
According with the mileage its neccesary to do it and change the air filter.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Only had car about 3months haven’t done anything with the car it had service about 1000 miles ago and had a throttle actuator also about 1000 miles ago but only 1 actuator

Dear customer, before change any part of the throttle body. You should do a maintenance to the throttle body system with special cleaners, desassembling the whole body to clean everything and clean the electric parts with and special cleaner for electrical parts and then assemble it again, then with and automotive scanner tool the error codes must be deleted. And it would sort out the problem. I do not think that it coulb be a major problem with the actuator since my position because i am not with the vehicle to give a better diagnosis.
if the problem persist then the problem is in the throttle boy and some parts must be changed but i do not think this is your case.
Sometimes when the service is done the throttle body is not clean it minociusly and then it bring problem like yours.
Dear customer, Is your inquire clear or is there anything else i could do for you? My goal is to give you the best advice I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It did say misfire on number 3 before cleared the code but after that the only code that came up was 2796

Dear customer, The number 3 means that it was a fail in the number 3 cilynder and theses codes are common to appear when a correct maintenance have not been done. And the cylinder could have present some dirty bits in some determined moment while you were driving and the dirty bit make the injector to fail and thats why that error were saved. It also could mean that the dirty bits were in the spark plugs and produce the error. These kind of error are saved in this way because the ECU does not recognize where exactly the fail was. As the error code you gave me its relate to the throttle body system it means that it need a in-depth maintenance that will sort out your problem. As i said before most of the times the maintenance done to the throtlle body system is not as exhaustive as it should be.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok thanks will get the throttle bodies cleaned and fingers crossed it will sort my fault

Indeed Dear customer. 98% of the times it sort out the problem.

My goal is to give you the best advice I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. In that way you will help me grow in the platform.