Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Technical Consultant at Just Answer
14928985

Our 2002 Volvo V70 – 5 cylinder petrol, suffered an oil leak

Our 2002 Volvo V70 – 5 cylinder petrol, suffered an oil leak (leaking out of side of engine). This was thought to be from a camshaft oilseal – following an earlier rocker-cover re-gasket. The car was left for six months and the oil seal has just now been renewed, however it has not been possible to get the car running. The mechanic mentioned in his report. “Engine has some further issues 1. Compression test revealed cylinder 4 down on compression Compression readings as follows: 1,110psi, 2, 123psi, 3, 110 psi, 4, 75psi, 5, 120 psi - this may be why the engine doesnt run- could also be because throttle appears to have lost some basic setttings. Some fault codes exist in ecu - 3200- Ignition coil signal faulty 9137 - throttle position faulty 91a7- throttle position control faulty” As the car only cost £900 last year I was wondering if anyone has any ideas? My next option may just be to scrap the car.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am usually here Monday through Friday and occasionally on the weekends.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Usually, one cylinder low on compression won't causes a no start.It will cause rough running though.

The ignition coil fault code you are seeing can point to the fault here.If you have a shorted or faulty ignition coil this can cause this issue and would need to be replaced.You will need to have the fault codes diagnosed to then help locate and repair this issue here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks, Pete

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Pete,
Many thanks for your reply. This has prompted a couple of further questions, which I hope it is ok to ask?
a) Bearing in mind that the timing would have been touched during the replacement of the oilseal - do you think the low compression
on one cylinder is much of an issue.know of a way to test the coils to see which

Since the compression is 15 psi lower then the rest of the cylinders this will cause a misfire or rough running issue.This can usually be caused by a burned or damaged engine valve needing replaced or a fault with a piston or cylinder wall issue.

I would have the compression issue checked into first to see if it can be repaired ( keep in mind it will cost over $1000 to have repaired ) and then clear out the codes to see if any codes come back at all.In some cases a low compression cylinder can cause false codes to set so the mechanical compression issue does need to be checked into and repaired first.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete