Marty
Marty, Bosch Certified Master Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Technician with over 35 years experience in the automotive industry.
13230946

We have a discovery II which looses power after about 45min

we have a discovery II which looses power after about 45min of towing. Could this be a head gasket problem?

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** would only be a head gasket problem if the engine is overheating or losing water. If the engine temperature is remaining normal I would look elsewhere for the problem. A plugged fuel filter or a bad fuel pump or a fault with the transmission are some other possibilities.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks Marty-the loss of power is proceeded by a rapid increase in temperature into red and the warning light comes on. We had the thermostat replaced and have had two pipes replaced as they were leaking coolant. There is currently a slight loss of coolant and there is no power when the needle goes to red. The car heater is also patchy And will not work when the needle goes into red. Any ideas?

Ok, then there may very well be an issue with the head gasket. If combustion gases are entering the cooling system it would give you those symptoms. The only other thing I would recommend checking is the radiator. If the radiator is plugged it would act the same. A cylinder leakdown test or a combustion gas test can be performed to check for a head gasket problem.

Let me know if you need anything else. Please remember to rate my service when you are done :-)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks Marty-this has been very useful.
Kind Regards
Tim

You're quite welcome, Tim.