sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

The "STOP" light and coolant temperature light both come on

The "STOP" light and coolant temperature light both come on as soon as ignition turned on - even when van has been still for hours. Temp gauge sits at 100 but sometimes goes right down to zero and then straight back up (to 100) again. Coolant reservoir is full. Not sure what's going on!
Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: The red STOP light at the centre of the dash and the smaller red light next to the temperature gauge
Assistant: What year is your Tempo?
Customer: It's a 2004 Expert van
Assistant: Are you fixing your Tempo yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It's an Expert Van - 2004 diesel
Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that's it

Hello, I am Jose Sebastian. Your mechanic automotive expert, It's a pleasure to me to attend your question.Thank you very much for trust in justanswer. I'm sorry for any delay. Iam returning to the platform.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

Dear customer, does your car present any other fail or just the lights? Did you scan your car with an automotive diagnosis scanner? Thank you

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No other fail that I can tell and no, not scanned

Dear customer, this kind of faults are frequent when the temperature sensor is defective, this sensor is a bulb that send the signal to the dashboard to indicate the engine temperature. Before replace it, I recommend you to do some tests with an automotive diagnosis scanner.
First check the actuators of the whole dashboard to see if they are all working well without problems.
Check the error codes, it will help us understand way better the root of your problem. Do you understand dear customer?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Oh - and the temperature gauge swinging between zero and 100

Dear customer, right, the temperature sensors problems produce this kind of swinging in indicators, but first remember to scan your vehicle to dismiss major faults.

Dear customer, Is there anything else I could help you?
My goal is to give you the better advice I can, and I hope I could have helped.
Please before you leave, remember to rate my service in the stars rating system. In that way you help grow in the platform. Thank you.