sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

My 40000 mile 308 VTi 1.4 petrol engine is getting very

My 40000 mile 308 VTi 1.4 petrol engine is getting very 'clattery' on start up. Is this a characteristic' or a forewarning of something drastic?

Hello, I'm Jose Sebastian. Your mechanic automotive expert, it's a pleasure to me to attend your question. Thank you very much for trust in just answer.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK'.

Dear customer, allow me a few moments to vacate other customers.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
DON'T NEED A PHONE CALL, E-MAIL WILL DO'.

dear customer does not need a call, we can continue talking on this chat

Dear customer, would you tell me please if you present problems turning on the car? Does the sound disappear once the car is turned ON? And would you please describe the noise? Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
On start-up the engine 'clatters' like a bunch of tin cans on the end of a string. Sounds like one of the the old Simca engines in the 'Talbot' cars.

but does not present failures with the vehicle on ?, loss of power ?, noises?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No loss of power when the engine has warmed up and no bad noises when driving. IT is just on starting the engine and before the engine has got to operating temperature that the clattering noises occur. Oil consumption is OK'.

Dear customer,

allow me a moment while I write your answer.

Dear customer, im sorry for my delay there are several factors that might be affecting your car. From my position is hard to tell you exactly which one is because I am not with your vehicle. I will try to cover the possible causes and you will check them to dismiss them.
First a problem with oil lubrication in the oil pump that demand oil from the lower part to the upper part. It might be that the pump is not working in a proper way untill the temperature highs up, which means it is not lubricating correctly while it is cool.
Another aspect we should check is the tacks or rockers (depending of which one use your engine) that could be sounding because it is not lubricating or it is wear. Other problem you could have a valve and when it's high temperature, the valve expand and adjust but when it's cold it swings a little but.
It is not a bad idea also check if the noise comes from the starting system but it is unprovable because it sounds just when you try to turn on. At last we should check the pulleys of the whole system, the damper, pumps, accessories etc. It might be that one of them is sliding or having axle movement that produces the noise.

Dear customer, do you understand what I told you?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I understand, that is most helpful. I think I will take the car to my local Peugeot agent.

Dear customer, My goal is to give you the best advice I can and I hope that I have helped today.
If there is anything else I could help. Please let me know and remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave.
Thanks, Sebastian

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thank you. i will probably take the car to my local peugeot agent.

Dear customer, I will be attend please let me know any news they tell you. Thank you very much for trust in
Just answer