Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Technical Consultant at Just Answer
14928985

If i put in a new ignition with a paired key will my remote

if i put in a new ignition with a paired key will my remote door locking still work

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I try to be here most weekdays and some weekends.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Unfortunately, your remote door locking will not work and it is possible the engine may not even start if the key is not recognized by your vehicles computers to be compatible.It has to be a specific key coded to your vehicles VIN number in order for it to work in your model.Usually, the key has to come from a dealer pre-programmed to your VIN as Mercedes is regulated heavily on using any used keys to start the engine as well as allow locking and unlocking.They cannot be reprogrammed to a different vehicle like yours here.

The best thing to do is if you need a new key and ignition is these would need to be replaced new, coded/programmed to your vehicle to operate properly in it to allow starting and locking/unlocking features.

You can try a used one but I am almost positive it won't work.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks, Pete

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
my only option is to go to mercedes and have a new ignition key and have it all reporgrammed to the van? Can you give me a ballpark figure for this
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
landline 01428 481323 or mobile***********

Unfortunately, I am not able to place a call on this myself here.Others here will see you requested a call and may still call on this.

Unfortunately with the way Mercedes has set up their security system it all has to be replaced new with a new ignition switch and key programmed to match your vehicles VIN number.No used keys or switches can be used as they are already pre-programmed to a different vehicle and cannot be reprogrammed to your model vehicle.

The cost for this replacement of the key and switch itself as well as programming can run around $1000.Now if you only need a new switch this may only run around $600 in some cases to be replaced.The current key will still work with a new programmed switch as long as the key has no issues.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete