sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

I have a boxer based motorhome & trouble with the starter

I have a boxer based motorhome & trouble with the starter battery going flat after a couple of weeks in storage. I am thinking of getting a new battery but disconnecting the earth lead while in storage. I am in secure storage and appreciate that the alarm won't work without the battery. My question is - if I reconnect the battery to take the van out will the alarm start working or will it have "lost its brain" and need re-programming in some way. Thanks, ***** *****
Assistant: When you turn the key, do you get a single loud click, or a series of rapid ones?
Customer: I'm not sure how many clicks. It tries to crank the engine but only a couple of times. I've had this happen a few times and had to jump start it. Therefore I thought it would be better to isolate the battery while stored for more than a couple of weeks.
Assistant: What is the model/year of your Peugeot?
Customer: I,m not sure - I'm at work. The reg is FH03 AHN
Assistant: What year is your Peugeot?
Customer: I think its 2003
Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I can jump start it but think it might be better to isulate the battery whilst in storage. Would the alarm system that works with the central locking just work again when I reconnect the battery or would it need some sort of re programming?
Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no - I just dont want to disconnect the battery if its going to cause problems with the alarm when I reconnect it. thanks

Hello, I am Jose Sebastian. Your mechanic automotive expert, It's a pleasure to me to attend your question. Thank you very much for trust in just answer. Sorry for any delay.
Dear customer, i have seen that your inquiry has some days, i would like to try to help you. do you still need help?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
please, I would still like an answer to the question. thanks
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
If I remove the engine battery from my boxer motorhome to keep it charged at home, when I put it back in the boxer, will the keys still work the locks and alarm or will I need to re program the keys.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
If there is a problem, I can't receive emails on my phone but my work email address is***@******.***

Hello dear customer, it is not neccesary to make a phone call. I want to have your answer write down in order to you can follow the steps whenever you need.
Whenever a vehicle battery has to be dis-connected, switch off all equipment,
interior lights etc, close the doors leaving the drivers window open.
Switch off the ignition and remove the key and any DIAG equipment.

Wait a full 3 minutes before disconnecting the battery.

The BSi must be allowed to go to SLEEP i.e. into "power save mode". Do not
operate any equipment on the vehicle during this time. Remember, even
opening the bonnet will wake the BSi on a vehicle fitted with alarm.

If the battery is under the bonnet, open the bonnet first and leave it up.
ALWAYS disconnect any DIAG equipment and do not operate any plips from
other vehicles during the 3 minute waiting period.

PROCEDURE FOR BATTERY RECONNECTION you must always
carry out the following procedure, often referred to as a "soft re-boot", to
minimise the possibility of the BSi corrupting its own software when
reconnecting the vehicles battery supply.
Ensure the procedure for battery disconnection has been adhered to and
importantly all BSi functions were switched off with the drivers window left
down.
1 Close all doors
2 Remove ignition key if left in ignition
3 Reconnect battery. DO NOT open any doors
4 Wait 10 seconds
5 Switch on headlights through the drivers window (you will hear a "bong") (note: Snap-on says Side-lights)
6 Switch on ignition then start the vehicle and check system functions

NOTE: Upon reconnection, if any vehicle function controlled by the BSi i.e .
interior light is switched on,the internal operation of the BSi has the potential
to spike or corrupt its configuration and software program.

If you follow these steps the risk to deprogram the car by disconnecting the battery will be reducing to almost nothing.

Dear Customer, Is your inquire clear or is there anything else i could do for you?my goal is to give you the best advice I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. In that way you help me grow in the platform. Also as we did not the live phone call service, As we do not talk byu phone if you wish you can tipping for my service.
Sebastian.