sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

Renault 1007 automatic tiptronic gearbox is losing selected

Renault 1007 automatic tiptronic gearbox is losing selected gear time to time - most often reverse (causing problems in parking places...)
Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Have you noticed any fluid leaks lately?
Customer: No leaks. Around 200tkm. Oil levels are checked.
Assistant: What is the model/year of your Renault?
Customer: Not shure yet - papers are somewhere...likely around 2006-9
Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: There was a gearbox "homing" routine made, but no results
Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Mostly yes - using repair shops when can not do by myself...
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Peogeot 1007 Sporty 1,6 2Tronic; 3rd of Jan 2006

Hello, I am Jose Sebastian. Your mechanic automotive expert, It's a pleasure to me to attend your question. Thank you very much for trust in just answer.

how many miles ago was the last service or maintenance you did to your vehicle? Thanks.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hello, I´m Eki. Close to 20000km (12500miles) - though reverse gear pop-off´s has happened during that time also now and then. Battery has been changed then.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I just checked battery voltage: +12.64V (in stand still/electronics off state)...
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
running idle +14.30V. Seems reasonable values to me.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Doing next the gearbox changer resetting:
-doors are now closed, drivers window is open and bonnet down but not locked. Waiting for a 5minute.
Battery out for a minute.
-I will connect battery back and wait at least 5minutes.
Electronics ON with ignition key and Gear Selector should show me "-" instead of "N" for neutral.
And while igniting the selector solenoids should run a calibration sequence... I hope.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Selector showed me "-" but almost immediately "N" without hearing mechanical movements from gear selecting solenoids ...so not shure if the selector comissioning routine went through... Likely I made a mistake in the procedure not waiting long enough, bonnet too open, having neutral selected before shutting off, sitting on the bench before starting ...or because any other sensor.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Temperature outside is +21C (70F). Engine is the same. When changing gears in stand still (1-N-R, 1-R-1,...) mechanical sound feels correct (not to be extra slow or there is no variation in speed while changing multiple times).

It was a correct procedure, now how is your car going? is it working well after the reset?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Living in countryside and waiting for a better test drive on suitable parking area with my wife - she is actually operating this car and getting these troubles... Symptom of getting reverse gear on but loosing it immediately attempting to drive reverse is bothering.
Is there a procedures actually adjusting the mechanics, improving lubrication - as far as I know there is time dependence (speed requirements) on gear box operation?
Or could it be electrical like when starting to go reverse and pressing throttle the speeding e-generator field is shut off and it drops down the voltage - and solenoid is acting strange? Moisture in connectors?
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I ment about speed requirement electrical control system program making "gear box fault" if mechanics is too slow (by friction or too low voltage). And by solenoid I ment the gear switching electrical actuator.I have got useful tips for understanding this Peogeot 1007 from http://jimbutterworth.co.uk/5gearreset.htm - sometimes these tips do not go deep enough many times - likely because actual operation is partly hidden in electronic control programs that is out of my reach.

Dear customer, i apologize for the delay, it have been a little hard to understand your inquiry given the research made by you, you may have confused in several things, first clarify me some doubts, 1) what happens when you try reverse, example, the box not apply reverse, applies very little, apply for a moment. Anyway, could you explain me better what does the vehicle when you try to go back. 2) what have you tried so far?, for example, did you scan your vehicle first? Did you check the connections? the viscosity in the oil, the TCM etc.
3) does the car only have problems when you put R or even when you use the other gears?
Thank you very much.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
We had a testdrive and in beginning it worked normally. After a driving a while and getting things warm the symptom came back.
When making a departure from parking space and switching reverse gear "R" appears - it seems to engage at first - but when starting to actually drive reverse the box looses it (reverse)… "Automatic gear fault".
On that loosing moment when break pedal is freed and throttle pedal is slightly pushed there is quiet mechanical sound from the box (the same as when operating gears).
Forward gears works.When car was staying still there and cooled down the reverse engaged again and was this time delivering power to wheels.This does not happen every time and it seems that temperature might have something to do with it.
When cool it seems not to happen - at least not so often. Now she can park only on spaces than you can leave forward with 1th gear and do not rely on reverse.Oli was changed in workshop last time (they used recommended oil quality) and the last time in the workshop the oil level was also checked - there was no mentionable level changes and no visual leaks. I assume the viscosity is ok.There was also reading test and there was a strange code that workshop did not understand.
Peogeot Dealer workshop could read that out and they also “firmware update”/reprogrammed the box.
I assume that there was something wrong with original programming appearing in rare cases - and information was delivered and intended for dealers workshops only - if I understood correctly - there was no other information source available. (I was not happy with that that there is some secrets lying inside my car… that is why I remember it now).

Dear customer, did the problem start when you change the oil? All what you said indicate me problems in the gearbox solenoids body specifically in the reverse gear but the damage could get to affect all of them.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hello, No symptom was not connected to oil change in my opinion - started later on - that is why oil levels where checked. And problem has been with reverse gear - it seems to appear when engine is warm and can disapear when cooled down enough.
And in winter time there was less problems.
I try to recalibrate the box again today - I feel that last time it did not proceed as expected - I remember that there was series of click-clack sounds from the box when it was reprogrammed and resetted. (I have a cheap diagnostics tool T40 Quicklyncks OBDII/EDBD+CAN reader but I´m not sure it can read/reset the Renoult memory - I can try).
I can also check if there is some obvious external damage on gear switcher or some loose attachment etc. I think some wearing is possible but this calibration procedure should take care of them - at least any longitudal slack... I let you know what happens - it may take some time.

Dear customer, I recommend you to perform a reset and programming to the TCM (Transmission control module) with an automotive diagnostic equipment that has the Peugeot software. Observe the error codes to take into account which sensors or selenoids are being affected, delete them and reprogram the TCM.
If the problem persist, with the error codes that we observe, proceed to check the wires first, to find out if you are having defects in broken cables, worn connectors or dirt plugs.

Finally, check internally the solenoids or valves body, to see which is the reason that is causing the failure and if it is necessary to replace it.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Had time to make test on larger parking area with just slight slope (around 2°). I drove first some time to get engine completely warm.When switching reverse and throttling different ways there was like 30% errors on reversing when facing a slope (easy reversing, car was moving slowly backwards without breaks)
and 70% when reversing against slight slope.Symptom is that when having reverse gear selected and adding throttle it was engaging clutch and starting to deliver power to wheels: the reverse was like "slipping off". "R" was still visible, but warning "beeb" sound was played. And that same moment there was clicking/gear change sound from the box.
- So it felt like the program had changed reverse gear to neutral and back by itself pressing clutch.
Clutch did not connect before throttle was released and pressed again. Reverse gear was there and not needed to select again.
After 4th "slip" there was "Automatic gear error". That gear error dissapeared by itself when using and driving 1st gear some 10 meters or so. (There was no error code).
After having "automatic gear error" visible there was 1 error code P0755. But again driving some meters it cleared by itself.I tried several times reversing with different throttle speed and it seemed that on slipping situation the RPM was decreasing fast from 1100-1200 and gear slipped off just under 1000RPM.
After 1st, 2nd or third slipping by using slow and careful throttle there was possible to have slightly slipping clutch position delivering gentle force around and under 1000RPM. Reverse gear did not slip then.
I had a feeling that there could be almost some sort of torque sensor/ of RPM dependency where gear box control program misbehaved deciding to reconnect reverse (putting the gear box first to neutral and back on reverse). In this case reverse would not engage until throttle is released some (and cluch is engaged again).Found somewhere in the net: “OBD II fault code P0755 is a generic code that is defined as “Shift solenoid (SS) B -circuit malfunction”, and is set when the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) or TCM (Transmission Control Module) detects an electrical malfunction either in the transmission shift solenoid labelled “B” itself, or in the “B” solenoid’s control circuit."So in this perspective you advices seems logical to me. And also in this order you advised.
-I can likely check the cables and connectors first by myself.One more question:
Is this reader "having Peogeot software" with software updates and updating possibilities available for individuals or do I need to go to Peugeot workshop?
Can I have/do I need latest software for TCM from Peugeot/Citroen?(If these software symptoms are regular it might pay itself back. Are Lexia or Diagbox suitable brands and do they have programming capability that you mentioned? )Br, Eki

Dear customer, reading your questions and comments, I noticed that although I do not know if you have mechanic knowledge or not, you are not out of place in the diagnostics you are doing yourself, the Peugeot software is difficult to find with generic scanners capable enough to perform a remapping or a factory programming.For example I have worked with the launch specifically with the master x431, but perform this procedure with this scanner is not possible, Although, it is possible to analyze the live values ​​and error codes in record(history), the equipment that you have, i do not know it with precision. Regarding to the error code that is being generated seems to me a very a very smart way on your part to cause the ECU to throw it at you doing the procedure that you have done, but I truly considered that the programming in your case will not will be enough to solve your problem, in the main dealers when we observe problems related to the error code you have and referring codes to the solenoids body, we proceed to replace all the solenoids body, it is a really delicate piece, and sometimes (extreme cases) we proceed to replace the entire transmission, so if you go to a Peugeot garage, you should not be amazed, if the diagnosis is the diagnosis they give you is to replace the transmission. what I can recommend you is that you should not agree with a single opinion, but you seek several opinions before doing the repair work.

My goal is to give you the best advice I can and I hope that I've helped today.
It have been a pleasure to talk with you because you are a really clever person and i know your problem will be solved easily and although you have enough knowledge to do not let any mechanic to give you a poor diagnostic.Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. I also want to congratulate you because you a person that research and make sure of everything.
Cheers, Sebastian.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hello and thanks,Despite many technical advantages by digitizing controls (compared to old mechanical systems) by end user this feels like more fragile system expensive to fix and hard to trust in practice. With mechanical system end user and owner had at least some control but not any more...
I try to cope with things - but in here its difficult not having access on operations I once purchased. Having used cars from 80´s the end of life reason has been overall rusting bodywork, wear down engine or mechanics not worth of fixing. Not in this case anymore. Replacing otherwise mechanically working transmission because of adjusting/ control faults with "not mature enough electronics" gives odd situation as owners perspective. Fixing will be likely be temporary results and in the end become too expensive for user - end of story for that vehicle othervise quite good condition...
Likely the fault is more like electronic interfaces - that are cables, connectors and sensors. Once I was in audio business and there over 97% of faults was due to cables and connectors (after user errors excluded)
- less than 1% was due to real error or broken components in electronics. Since then the software has become complicated and slight cable&connector problem can give us odd operation...
So that is likely way I go next. You gave me guidelines to follow - Thank you.