sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

2003 1.9D expert. Flashing Stop light and red temp guage

2003 1.9D expert. Flashing Stop light and red temp guage light and fan running from cold. Fan runs on for 2 mins after engine off
Assistant: Just to clarify, can you tell me which light it is? And does it blink first, then stay on steady?
Customer: Dash light with stop written on it. Flashes. Small red light alongside temp gauge on and steady.
Assistant: What year is your MINI?
Customer: MINI?
Assistant: Are you fixing your MINI yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Its a peugeot expert van. What is MINI?
Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Ive replaced the coolant thermistor on the thermostat housing.

Hello, I am Jose Sebastian. Your mechanic automotive expert, It's a pleasure to me to attend your question. Thank you very much for trust in just answer.
Dear customer, have you replaced the temperature sensor? thanks

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The one on the thermostat housing.? Yes. I stated that in response to the I assistant already

Yes dear customer, that is the sensor.
Dear customer, if you have already replaced this sensor, I recommend you to scan the vehicle and see in the live data how the engine temperature is, move the wires up and down and pull them ilooking for a variation to know if the wire branch is defective.

If you scan the vehicle and see that the temperature is high, you have a problem either in the wiring or in the communication to the computer which you must verify

If you notice that the reading is normal but tthe temperature is rising very quickly
Perform the following procedure: Firstly remove the thermostat to asure that it is not stuck and it is not blocking the flow of water to the engine. If you remove the thermostat and the problem persists, remove the radiator and perform an internal cleaning, this consist to apply certain internal chemicals to clean all the dirt. it may have internal problems around that could be blocking the passage of water.

Dear Customer, Is your inquire clear or is there anything else i could do for you?
My goal is to give you the best advice I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. because in that way you help me grow in the platform and if you wish you can let a comment for the service and a tip.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The problem is present before the engine reaches operating temperature, that is, before the thermostat opens. I have let it cowme up to temperature before and the thermostat opens as i would expect it to. But as i said. The fan is on high as soon as the engine starts and runs on for a few minutes at a lower speed after i switch off. The temperature guage appears to be giving the correct temperature reading. I dont have a diagnostic unit but could buy one today.

Dear customer, Now I understand your problem better, could you tell me please if the temperature in the dashboard highs up as usual?

Dear customer, if this is correct, then the problem is in the fan, it is very possible that the resistance is faulty, so it is direct. The electric fans have a resistance that activates and deactivates the fan according to the temperature, when we have problems in the fan resistance. the fan activate always when the vehicle is on.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ah. Ok. Is the resistor attached to the radiator housing top centre? It gets very hot when the fan is on low after i switch off the engine. It resembles a metal can with two brown wires amd a plastic flange with two screws to attach it.

dear customer, could you send me a picture please?
i want to assure that it is indeed the resistance. i can vary its location sometimes and as i am not with the vehicle i would like the picture. Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Attached image

could you send me another picture of the location of this sensor please? The fan should have a resistance as i told you before.

it should be like the picture i attache

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I put a green box on it for clarity

sorry what happens is that i do not know your model pretty well, but if you do not find a resistance in the electro as i indicated, by the position in which it is located, it must be the one that is causing the problem, sometimes in peugeot it change its form nut rarely its location.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok. Thank you. Its a pity that you vannot be certain but you have been helpful.
Regards.

Your welcome dear customer. yes, it is. thank you for your valuable rating.