Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

I have a Vauxhall Vectra sport (estate really) 1.7cdi. a

Customer Question

hi, I have a Vauxhall Vectra sport (estate really) 1.7cdi. a couple of weeks ago it lost power while I was driving and code 84 came up on dashboard 'engine loosing power'. I pulled off road, partner came to get me and the car started again no probs. went into garage a week later for a service and timing belt change. there had been no repeat of power loss between the original and the garage input on 25.05.2018. today the exact same thing happened, just lost power. after leaving it for an hour or so it started fine and seems ok now but not convinced! I don't know what to do for the best, ***** ***** a nurse and drive lots or miles. any ideas what the prob is and is it worth trying to sort out or should I scrap? thank you
Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: I don't know if you can remember back in the day, when you started a car, if it was cold, it would judder or 'jump' its like that, then it just slows and will grind to a halt and stop. engine won't restart - until after an hour or so. this has happened twice, once on 18 may and once today, nothing in between at all
Assistant: What is the model of your '84 Vauxhall?
Customer: it is a Vauxhall astra exclusive cdti diesel car, sorry, not a Vauxhall vectra
Assistant: Are you fixing your Astra yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no - I don't have any knowledge really, apart from checking oil, brake fluid, tyres etc, I am reliant on garage really, partner not much better than me
Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: the car was registered in 2011 I bought it when it was 2 1/2 years old, done 41000 miles, its now done 107000 miles
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 17 days ago.

Hi..there..

Code 84 on Vauxhalls is a reduced power/limp mode setting as you already have experianced.. Being extremely intermittent as you have said. it will be hard for any garage or at most myself to place it to one particular component.so long as you understand that...In all ideal situations such problem like this is to leave the car with the garage and hope it acts up with them.whislt the cars plugged into a scanner recording the live data too what occurrs / drops out or stops working, either likely a sensor or fuel presure issue...Have they plugged it in anyway to see if any stored history codes are logged? Probably the most common thing that maybe need to be checked is the EGR Valve and see if that caked or choked up with carbon..Id say that might be the most logical place to start especially on these engines....