sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

Wont start, the steering lock is not working when the key

Customer Question

wont start, the steering lock is not working when the key fob is inserted and is stuck in the off position
Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: I can turn the steering wheel and the fob is perfect. I can here relays clicking when I press the start button.
Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: Freelander 2 2007
Assistant: Are you fixing your Freelander yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No. Its in a LR dealer service dept and I think they are struggling
Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Car
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I am Jose Sebastian. Your mechanic automotive expert, It's a pleasure to me to attend your question. Thank you very much for trust in just answer. In a moment i will be back with yoour answer

Dear customer, I understand l. I want to explain you, the first thing I notice is that you present an important symptom of a deconfiguration in the system of recognition of the key and immobilizer, let me explain how your immobilizer system work The electronic immobilizer protects your vehicle by means of an electronic code integrated in the key. This is composed of an invariable personal code and a second code that the immobilizer modifies each time the engine is started. When starting the vehicle, the immobilizer checks the personal code and the variable. If both codes are correct, the immobilizer sends a new coded signal to the engine control to unlock the engine. Without this signal, the engine can not be started, even by a short circuit. If you have a problem in the key or in the immobilizer, your vehicle does not turn on, this happens a lot when we perform works in the vehicle, it may have unintentionally done something to the battery that made the vehicle think that you were trying to turned on without its respective key or some other case that could activate the immobilizer. In your case, the immobilizer can not verify the codes, this may be due to different factors, such as the key has been deprogrammed with the immobilizer, or that the l has no access to the vehicle, therefore the immobilizer inhibits the ignition , this type of problems is quite common so you do not necessarily have to go to the dealership to solve it, although it would be the most prudent and correct thing to do, There are alternative companies that can help you with your case, reprogramming the key fob, key and the immobilizer, and verify if any of the modules present damages.

This can be the most likely cause of your problem, but there are other alternatives as well. like a problem with the battery, problem with the fuses, problem with the cylinder/barrel that does not recognize the keys. Also a problem with CKP or camshaft sensor. As you can see the are several causes taht you can recommend them to check to sort out your problem.

Have you understood dear customer?

My goal is to give you the best advice I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. because in that way you help me grow in the platform.

Even after you rate, we can keep in touch to further queries in this chat.

Regards, Sebastian.

Have you understood dear customer?

My goal is to give you the best advice I can and I hope that I've helped.
Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. because in that way you help me grow in the platform.

Regards, Sebastian.