sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

My other half’s Ford Focus 1.6 tdci won’t start have got

Customer Question

Hello my other half’s Ford Focus 1.6 tdci won’t start have got fuel to the injectors will start on easy start but cuts off straight away but it is spaying oil from the turbo where the dpf clamps on? Puzzled!
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Car
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I am Jose Sebastian. Your mechanic automotive expert, It's a pleasure to me to attend your question. Thank you very much for trust in just answer.

Dear customer, would you tell me the mileage of your focus=
In addition what kind of services and maintenance you have recently done to your car?
Thanks in advance.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
90,000 I’ve had new turbo new dpf all new injectors glow plugs had a new diesel filter last week full service about 5 months ago, but as soon as we got an injector seal fixed it stoped working after that now the oil is spraying out of the turbo where the dpf clamp is??

Thanks for your reply dear customer.
Dear customer, this type of failures can happen with time and travel of the car, identify them accurately is a bit complicated from my point of view becasue i am not with the vehicle, but I will proceed to indicate the areas that you should check in your vehicle, so you will understand what is happening and we can get to the solution of your problem.

A diesel vehicle works with certain conditions that we must have in full operation to allow the vehicle works well

A diesel vehicle requires the following 4 factors:

1) good compression in the cylinders
2) a high pressure in the fuel injection system
3) a good air intake
4) and a high temperature in the cylinders

Firstly, the compression can be rule out in your case, because when there is a loss of compression in the cylinders the vehicle fails seriously and
because of the low travel of your transit I do not think you have major problems.

As a second, you may have problems in the fuel injection pressure, this pressure is given by the fuel pump, but there are certain factors that can affect this pressure, such as lack of maintenance, dirt in the tank, filters clogged or dirty or the injectors have some defects cause these problems as you describe me.
For example your vehicle is working in good condition until the pump becomes clogged with dirt causing it not to ingite, even if you notice diesel coming out of the injectors if it comes out with low pressure the vehicle will have difficultty turning on. In addition, the system must be purged, and the way in which it
cut off abruptly, gives us more clues here.

This is solvable by performing maintenance on the fuel rail and its components, in addition, replacing its filters, measuring the pressure of the pump and purging the system.

Then as I mentioned a good air intake is necessary for a good operation of the vehicle, when we present problems in the air supply overload or in some of the throttle body sensors or air flow meter, because these sensors are responsible for regulating the acceleration of the vehicle and the minimum opening of the air inlet to the vehicle to turn on, to know the good or malfunction of these is necessary to perform a computerized diagnosis of the vehicle to know the parameters.

Another a good temperature, if the faults occur in very cold climates, it is good to analyze the cooling system and thermostat of the vehicle, if the engine cools more than the neccesary and the glow plugs are not working, the vehicle will not turn on, this step can be rule out because you already replaced the glow plugs
Also doing a maintenance in the DPF is a good idea.
Finally I would like to recommend that you check the condition of the timing chain/belt.

As you see dear customer, there are several factors to analyze, I think it is prudent that the first thing you do is a good automotive diagnosis with a scanner with the Ford software according to the parameters you will get, the technician will proceed.

Have you understood dear customer?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay but what I don’t understand is smoke and oil sprays out of the turbo where it clamps to the dpf :/ the fuel is getting to the fuel lines to the injectors with good pressure
Sorry for absent Dear customer.
I want to make sure, the oil is leaking/spraying through the turbo, isn't it?
Have you done any check or repair to the turbo?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It’s spraying out of the side of the turbo where the dpf clamps on to the turbo, it’s a new turbo about 1000 miles it’s done mate

Dear customer, excuse my delay, in your case, it will help me a lot to observe that part of the turbo is spraying the oil. Would you be so kind to attach a picture of the part?

You can do it by selecting at the paper click at the top of the writing chat.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It’s not coming out of any seals you have a clamp that’s holds the dpf onto the turbo on the left hand side simular to a jubilee clip mane it’s not clamping them tight enough? But the smoke and the oil is coming out of there, I’m at work and the min cheer

Dear customer, first i want to apology for my absent and delay to reply back, i am having some personal problems and this days have been difficult to me to get online. Now dear customer, did you do some kind of work to the oil intercooler? It seems strange to me because i can not know the accuracy of where the oil drain is. It would help me a lot if you could attach a picture to me.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I’ve just paid £27 and u haven’t helped me, I’d like a refund I can’t afford anymore