Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I own a 2012 CRV with only 48000 miles on the clock. I’ve

I own a 2012 CRV with only 48000 miles on the clock. I’ve just had to replace the offside front drop bar as one end had become sloppy presumably because the rubber had decayed in some way. Is this resonable
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
When can I expect an answer
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I’ve got to go out, back later
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I’m back now any chance of an answer?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Nicola,I can wait until the weekend so cancel on Sunday if you have no luck. Regards, Bob
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

sorry for the late reply but yes 48K for a drop link isn't too bad as they are a bit undersized on the car so take a pounding

especially if you live in a bumpy road area

typically then can last anything form 35K to 80K depending on the road surface

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi, thanks for the response, though I have some comments and would appreciate you thoughts.
1 A what car survey said that on the suspension “work not common below 100k miles” so the fault is uncommon.
2 I can jiggle the joint at one end with one finger but I can’t move the other end. Does that mean that the latter has siezed and so a lot more stress has been put on the other so causing it to fail? Or that the failed end was faulty?
3 Given Honda’s reputation for reliability I just feel that the link was faulty; the car is 4x4 capable so one would expect a significant number of owners would give the suspension some stick. I am 77 so I don’t go in for off road work!

main suspension faults such as dampers and balljoints are uncommon I'll agree but ant-roll bar droplinks tend not to fall into this category as the effect of them failing is minor and hard to spot in any case as you have to lift the car off the ground with both wheels in the air its only notice at MOT time

and yes if one end is immobile all the bar twisting tries to go through the other end so it will overload the joint

and yes its possible you did just have a faulty link so it may be worth sending a slightly miffed letter to Honda customer service to complain and ask for a contribution towards the repairs

http://apps.honda.co.uk/contactus/

Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years