sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

2003 BMW X5 3.0d; trouble starting the car; cranks over but

2003 BMW X5 3.0d; trouble starting the car; cranks over but doesn't fire up unless I squirt Quick Start into the air inlet. Background to this is. I replaced the Fuel Pump last week on the advice of the RAC; worked ok. This week ran into problems starting; RAC were called. Identified a leak on a fuel pipe leading to low pressure; as reported on the diagnostic tool. RAC diagnostic tool also flagged up - "DTC: 3505,Glow Plug Module Control Circuit". Advised to get it checked out.So here's where I am; the car turns over but doesn't start unless I spray Easy Start into air intake; then it starts. Could this be a fault with the relay; and can be resolved by replacing this unit?

Hi, my name is***** your mechanic automotive expert, and I will be happy to assist you today. In some cases, I may need more information to assist better. I apologize for any delay.

I try to be here most weekdays and some weekends. If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Dear customer, this is generally maintenance problems, could you tell me please what maintenances have you done to the fuel system and air intake system lately?
thanks in advance.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Had a new fuel pump 2wks ago; a fuel pipe was leaking but is now fixed. And that's it.

Dear customer, this type of failures can happen with time and travel of the car, identify them accurately is a bit complicated from my point of view becasue i am not with the vehicle, but I will proceed to indicate the areas that you should check in your vehicle, so you will understand what is happening and we can get to the solution of your problem.

A diesel vehicle works with certain conditions that we must have in full operation to allow the vehicle works well

A diesel vehicle requires the following 4 factors:

1) good compression in the cylinders
2) a high pressure in the fuel injection system
3) a good air intake
4) and a high temperature in the cylinders

First of all, the compression is rule out in your case, because when there is a loss of compression in the cylinders the vehicle constantly fails more in the Diesel, because the compression together with the injector makes the combustion, but do not worry because this happens when there is internal damage to the engine but it is not your case.

Second, if you can have problems in the fuel injection pressure, this pressure is given by the fuel pump, but there are certain factors that can affect this pressure, such as lack of maintenance, dirt in the tank, filters covered or dirty or injectors with a defect cause these problems as you describe me, when example your vehicle is in good working order until the pump becomes clogged with dirt or heats up more than usual causing you to have the problems of ignition as you present, also a fuel leak in the rail causes this problem, this may be due to an internal problem in the pressure seals, or when a injector is direct by this pressure escapes causing these problems.

This is solvable by performing a maintenance to the fuel rail and its components (including injectors, pumps, etc ...) also, replacing its filters.

Then as I mentioned a good air intake is necessary for a good operation of the vehicle, when we present problems in the supercharger air supply or in some sensor of the throttle body or air flow meter, because these sensors are responsible for regulating the acceleration of the vehicle, to know the good or bad operation of these is necessary to perform a computerized diagnosis of the vehicle to know the parameters on live data.
At last a good temperature, if the faults occur in very cold climates, it is good to analyze the cooling system and thermostat of the vehicle, if the engine cools more than the account causes these problems, one of the factors for a good ignition is that the engine must preheat the fuel before turning on.
The diesel is thicker or denser, this work is done by the glow plugs, when you apply Easy star you take advantage of the first combustion becauseit is more volatile.

As you will see dear customer, there are several factors to analyze, I think it is prudent that the first thing you do is a good automotive diagnosis with a scanner with the BMW X5 software according to the parameters obtained by the technician to proceed, the problem is that the RAC and the alternative garages do not have the software of the brand, thus causing the values ​​are not correct or accurate.

As for a relay, this is located in the fuse box and relays under the engine compartment, when you remove the cover you get a legend, there you locate it.

Have you understood me dear customer?

Dear Customer, my goal is to give you the best advice I can and I hope that I've helped today.
If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above). You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question. I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you. I don't think it is the Glow PLUG RELAY as the car refuses to start even after running for over an hour. Currently the only way I can start the car is to spray EASY START into the air intake. Once started the car runs really well - lots of power etc? How does using EASY START spray gets it to start?

Dear customer, thank you very much for your inquiry, my apologies for the delay presented this weekend.

Dear customer, the Easy star is a highly flammable fluid. The gases that affect the compression of the engine can ignite the vehicle, what happens with the diesel is that the diesel is much thicker as oily, because of this must be preheated before the first combustion is done, it is very likely that your problem is in the preheating spark plugs that should already be replaced.

As you will see dear customer in the picture given below you can see a spark plug that preheats the fuel correctly with one that over time starts to lose its temperature therefore your spark plug should be worse than it is.
So the easy start avoid the preheat steps of the diesel, and ignite direclty, as your spark plugs must be really defective, that why even after an hour with the engine lit, once you turned it off and try to ignite again the car won't start.
Do you understand me dear customer?

sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience: Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes