Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Technical Consultant at Just Answer
14928985

I have just bought a ford st170 53 plate, I have left it for

Hi , I have just bought a ford st170 53 plate , I have left it for a couple of days without starting , when I did try to start it , it struggled for about a minute then eventually started ... what could it possibly be I don’t know much about engines but have the money to sort whatever it could be
Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: I haven’t yet but will , thanks , is this a common problem ? I know it’s quite an old car but would like to get it back to running nicely
Assistant: What is the model of your '53 Ford?
Customer: It is a focus st170
Assistant: Are you fixing your Focus yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have only just realised the problem , I bought the car on Friday
Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The car has been used daily , it had 1 day without bein started

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today. In some cases, I may need more info to assist better. I apologize for any delay.
I try to be here most weekdays and some weekends. If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

When you say it struggled to start did the vehicle power-up electronically o.k. and was the starter engaging to crank over the engine properly and the engine just had a hard time starting or did the starter not engage?

Let me know,thanks Pete

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I don’t know much about engines ... electrics seemed fine but the turn over seemed slow and wouldn’t start , I haven’t driven the car for one since buying it on Friday

No problem

Did you have to jump start it to get it started or recharge the battery to get it started or did it finally crank over enough to start on its own?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
It started on its own after about a minute

O.k, with it cranking over slow and then finally started and since this only occurred after it sat for a couple of days this indicates that either the vehicle battery is weak and needs to be replaced or that there is a parasitic drain/draw on the battery due to one of the electronics failing in your vehicle.

What has to be done is to have the battery tested. In some cases, a local parts store can test this free of charge and a shop or dealer can test this as well. If the battery is faulty it will need to be replaced.

If the battery is found to be o.k. then you need to have what is called a parasitic battery drain/draw test performed to locate the source of the drain. This involves using a multimeter and a wiring diagram to locate the short or electrical component that is at fault in your model that is draining the battery.

I suspect this is just a weak battery issue and the battery needs to be replaced to correct this fault.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above). You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question. I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks, Pete

Customer: replied 15 days ago.

Your welcome

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete