Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My mg6 turbo 2011 when breaking or accelerating/

My mg6 turbo 2011 when breaking or accelerating/ deceleration I can feel and hear a large judder in the steering
I tried pushing on the front wheels and the right one can be moved forward easily when I let go it returns to center any ideas

I'd 1st check for worn suspension joints - jack the car up so the wheel is off the ground (you’ll need to do this for all 4 scorners) and shake the tyre from top to bottom and from side to side (with someone holding the steering wheel on the front) there should be no play in either direction. Any play in 1 direction will usually require a joint to be replaced, if there’s play in both directions then the wheel bearing may be at fault. If theres play only up and down its the strut top mount - to find this one you have to shake the suspension strut it self up and down with the wheel off the ground - so you may need to remove the wheel to check this one.

Now with the car jacked up on that side with the wheel about 2 inches off the ground use a steel bar under the wheel and lever the wheel up and down slightly, you should be able to look at the end of the axle and see if the suspension arm is moving up and down separately to the axle.If so replace the bush

To feel if there's a worn strut top bearing then lightly hold the spring by hand and have your assistant move the steering from left to right with the wheel on the ground - a worn bearing will feel 'notchy' through the spring. The wheel needs to be on the ground for the test to load up the bearing

Also check for worn drive shaft joint - typically these won't produce any vibration unless badly damaged but they can be noisy or 'clonk' for a long time beforehand, turn the steering to full lock and look at the drive-shaft rubber boot there should be no rips or tears in it and the suspension should be clean and dry of any grease. If you reverse at a reasonable speed with the steering on full lock a worn joint will 'click'.

and then for worn mountings - check the tightness of the engine and gearbox mounts and their condition - this is best done by using a jack to take the weight of the engine off the mounts and seeing if any cracks or splits open up in the rubber. Also check the tightness of the mounts bolts

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and hopefully I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave.
You now will see a rating scale because I have posted my 1st full/partial answer.

1 STAR-BAD- Tells the website I was unhelpful = Expert not paid and does not result in a refund.
2 STAR-POOR-Tells the website my answer was wrong, = Expert not paid, and does not result in a refund.
3 to 5 STAR – FAIR TO EXCELLENT - I am paid from your deposit and my answer was enough to answer the question.

Rating does not close a post. Please understand I do not work for Just Answer, I work for you and am only paid by you. You are rating me and my advice, not the website and a bad news answer should not result in a negative rating. If you need more help, please use the reply box to let me know.
For more information about how the site works see
http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/topics/142

Thanks Matt