Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

CYLINDER HEAD REBUILD Assistant: What is the make/model/year

CYLINDER HEAD REBUILD
Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: PEUGEOT 206 - 2003 -TU3JP
Assistant: Are you fixing your 207 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: YES - ADVISE NEEDED
Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: NO
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
General advise need, please.

I see that you are rebuilding the cylinder head on your TU engine, what data do you need ?

can you tell me the engine size ?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Hello, it's 1.4 8v. I'm just in the process of rebuilding. When I but the camshaft back in, I assume I will need to lock the camshafts sprocket again, but how do I know the timing is correct?

this data should be enough to show how the cam is timed up

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I don't have a fuel pump in the timing arrangement, mine is 1.4 petrol.

Ok try this one

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** don't have a belt-tightening guage, how would I be confident in the correct tension on the belt?

Well there's another option as Peugeot also went away from using the gauge and had a pointer on the tensioner instead

so if you have this on your belt then you are off and running

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thanks Matt.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
The crankcase is still full of coolant, I would like to empty this because it looks contaminated. There is no drain plug for this, how would I go about emptying this?

the usual method is to flush the block / crankcase out with some fresh water

if you put a garden hose into the water outlet where the top hose attaches and run the hose until you get fresh water coming out of the radiator

then drain the radiator and refill with coolant / anti-freeze

Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I have stripped down the cylinder head removed the rad, coolant housing etc down to the crankcase where the remaining coolant is sitting and there is no drain plug on the crankcase to remove the remaining coolant.

Hmm

Ok in that case I'd say to buy a large syringe from a chemist and use that with some rubber / plastic hose to suck out the residual coolant from the water jacket holes in the fire face

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
I've noticd bits of carbon and fluff from a a scotchbrite around the top of the cylinder and liner. It's gone a little sticky where I was using a bit of degreaser when cleaning the face, should and how do I remove or will it be ok?

OK, the fireface / sealing face of the cylinder block needs to be spotless, so if you don't want debris in your cooling system, stuff a load of rag into the water jacket holes and some more down each bore and then scrub the fireface clean and degrease it

then you should be good to go

forgot to say using scothbrite and brake cleaner is an effective method of cleaning it all up

Customer: replied 23 hours ago.
Hi matt I'm getting confused with the terminology. The grime I'm talking about is in the two cylinders that at thee bottom it's in the liner on top the piston crow and against the liner wall.

OK if the cylinder walls / bore surface are grimy / caked with baked on carbon then you can apply a coating of oven cleaner to soften the carbon and it should then wipe away after being left a few hours

alternatively don't worry about it as long as the engine turns over smoothly it won't make much difference to remove it or not

Customer: replied 22 hours ago.
Just didn't want to get anything stuck between the liner and the piston causing damage? Should I do and engine oil flush once the car is running?

Providing none of the carbon is loose / flaking off its unlikely to suddenly give an issue

If you want to remove it ( and this is the preferred option , try the oven cleaner / degreaser as I've suggested as that makes it a lot easier to remove

and yes I'd agree to do an oil change / flush once its running

Customer: replied 21 hours ago.
It's just the bits that have fell into the jackets where the pistons are when I was cleaning up the crank case face. I cleaned one of the piston crowns and got told to leave the as it helps with sealing?? I think there has been a few bits that may have slipped between the piston and liner along with a big of degreaser when cleaning. I can't crank the pistons over because I don't have the liner clamps don't know how to approach it now.

OK I'd use the degreaser and just wipe it up best you can. providing there's nothing loose it will be fine

Customer: replied 21 hours ago.
I just didn't want to force anything down between liner and piston. Should I use break cleaner?

Yes use plenty of brake cleaner and some clean rags to wash it over and wipe off

then providing the rest of the mating surfaces are clean you can fit the new gasket and get the head back on

Customer: replied 21 hours ago.
Will I need to reoil the liner walls?
Customer: replied 21 hours ago.
This is my crankcase since then I have cleaned the jacket top, basically everywhere the gasket sits.
Customer: replied 21 hours ago.
The cylinder to the right I cleaned the crown but got told not to do that. You can see the cap in the two bottom ones.

cleaning the piston crown won't make any difference

as long as the gasket sealing face is bright and clean I 'd just do a quick check with a edge of a steel ruler to check the fireface and that of the cylinder head are both flat and true then bolt it all up

Customer: replied 19 hours ago.
should I just leave alone now. Check everything is flat bolt up and get car running, do an engine flush. I was also going to do a cooling system flush with fort bio degreaser?

both of those certainly won't hurt and are good practice

best of luck

Customer: replied 1 hour ago.
Hi Matt Hello,I am following the attached timing procedure and got down to item 11. The camshaft pin went in ok, and the flywheel bolt went in but not as far as it did previously. So as it says I started the procedure again and same thing happen, what an I doing wrong? And when I was cranking it round at certain points it felt like it lost tension and then regained the tension. Thanksb74a292d-cd8e-49de-a98f-c9659264d905_2061.4 pet camtim2.jpg