Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Technical Consultant at Just Answer
14928985

I bought a VW golf (Mk6 1.6 blue motion technology diesel)

Hi, I bought a VW golf (Mk6 1.6 blue motion technology diesel) in April last year. In past few months intermittently when putting into reverse on a hill (and more recently also first) there's a grinding noise and feel through the clutch pedal at bite point. It's also had a huge drop in mpg in past few days, feels like there's resistance somewhere in the system as revs are normal. There's also been a whining (maybe transmission?) noise since I bought it when accelerating gently- quieter than a belt squealing and not the same as a wheel bearing. Worried it's clutch, gear or transmission related but can't put my finger on it.
Assistant: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?
Customer: It feels hard to put into gear sometimes but don't think it's slipping although it might be a little bit when driving
Assistant: What is the model/year of your VW?
Customer: 2012 1.6 diesel not sure if it's a match. It has start stop technology
Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Not fixing myself have got a warranty but VW want to charge me to diagnose it.
Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today. In some cases, I may need more info to assist better. I apologize for any delay.
I try to be here most weekdays and some weekends. If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Usually, with a grinding noise and gear engagement issue, this is a fault internal in the transmission with a gear synchro not lining up or gears not lining up properly which may also be causing a fuel consumption issue. I have also seen issues in some cases with the clutch pressure plate failing needing to be replaced but usually if it was the clutch itself or pressure plate all gears are affected and usually, fuel mileage is not affected.

In this case, the transmission/gearbox will usually need to be removed to inspect the clutch and pressure plate for any issues and if o.k. then the transmission/gearbox itself has to be inspected internally to then locate and repair this issue here.

Unfortunately, this has to be done to help pinpoint and repair this issue here. I do suspect a fault internally in the gearbox, but without seeing it myself it's difficult to say for sure from here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above). You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question. I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks, Pete

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I forgot to say that as well as the grinding noise at bite point there's also a feeling of something sticking when releasing the clutch. Not the actual pedal but resistance stopping the wheels from turning. It's just like the feeling when you start your car and the handbrake sticks on stopping the car moving forward (I've had the brakes checked and they're all fine). Wondered if that might help pinpoint it, or rule something out.

With what you have described here this does sound like an internal mechanical fault in the gearbox/transmission itself. This sounds like a gear bind issue or synchro alignment gear issue internal in the gearbox needing to be replaced.

The only way to know for sure is to have the gearbox inspected to locate the fault inside of it and then it can be repaired from there to resolve this issue.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed. Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
That is very helpful, the car has a one year VW used car warranty so I'd imagine it might be covered. Thank you.

You're welcome. Depending on what the warranty covers it may very well be covered for repairs.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
That's been a great help, thank you!
5 star rating

Your welcome