sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

Does a 2008 VW Polo 1.4 automatic have a built-in rev

Does a 2008 VW Polo 1.4 automatic have a built-in rev limiter?
Assistant: What is the model of your '08 VW?
Customer: a bit unsure, does 'match' make sense?
Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Having a problem with car dealer as bought 3 months ago and engine has seized. Dealer says revving engine is the cause so he's not liable. Wanted to check if this could be the cause hence query if this model has rev limiter.
Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?
Customer: it is automatic and 33,300 miles when purchased, now approx 33,700 (unsure as car is with dealer now)
Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: not that I can think of, thanks.

Hi, my name is***** your mechanic automotive expert, and I will be happy to assist you today. In some cases, I may need more information to assist better. I apologize for any delay.

I try to be here most weekdays and some weekends. If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Dear customer, i would like it to check to make sure, so could you please give me your VIN number or reg number to know your specific model of Polo?
Thanks in advance.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thanks Jose, the reg number is :VO58GJG

Hello dear customer, my apologies for the delay in replay back to you, i had some issues and i could not get online before.

Dear customer understand your query, indeed the vehicles mostly have a rev limiter, effectively this is a security system that allows the vehicle to not pass the corresponding revolutions so that no danger, this measure was usually implemented since before 2000. I have observed that there are vehicles that have it before, and indeed your model VW Polo must have this built-in rev limiter, there are jobs that are done to the computer to remove this limiter, they are apply a programming from a special equipment to be able to deactivate it so that the vehicle acquires a greater speed and a greater performance.

Studying your case and putting myself in your place, I would consider that it is not your responsibility. If it were the case that the limitator has been deactivated in your model since this is a system that all vehicles must possess to protect themselves, in my mind I think that if the vehicle is under warranty they must proceed to perform the relevant work on the engine covering said warranty. I do not consider it a good excuse to indicate that the engine is seized by over rev.

dear customer my answer has been short and concise but I would like you to indicate if you have understood it?

Dear Customer, my goal is to give you the best advice I can and I hope that I've helped today.
If more help is needed or something is not understood, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above). You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question. I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Best regards, Sebastian.