Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

Is it possible to change an abs relator ring myself on a kia

is it possible to change an abs relator ring myself on a kia cerato 1.6
Assistant: Have you checked the brake fluid? And have the brakes been squeaking?
Customer: brakes are ok the problem is the abs light goes off for mashort bdisance then comes back on have had a look at thsensor and noticed that one of the segments on the cv joint was bright and suspect that the ring is faulty
Assistant: What is the model/year of your Kia?
Customer: cerato 2006 5 door hatchback
Assistant: Are you fixing your Hatchback yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: generaly do all my own repairs a caliper was changed because of binding and I saw that a piece of the ring was was bright and there was no marks on the others so am checking to see if it can be done at home before I start
Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no just dealing with abs

Hi..there..

You should be able to get the ABS reluctor rings on their own..ebay - would likely sell them or locally automotive trade motorfactors..just ensure the number of teeth are the same..ideally you mark the position as to where the ring sits on the cv housing, just cut off the old one if it not already cracked it should just drift off or break anyway from the CV housing..clean up the surface and then line up the ring and lightly with a rubber or plastic hammer drift the new on in to exactly or close to the same position the old ring was sat,position on the cv, they are a pressed fit these rings so be carefull..so as to line up with the sensor.ensure it runs in line and not out of line by spining the shaft by hand, before putting in back together..you could likely do this by removing the outer cv from the hub and do it on the car.but easier to pull the driveshaft out the car and do it on the bench,vice..unless you feel buying another driveshaft would be a better option....

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
thank youf first class answer tyo my queery

no problem..glad to help..best of luck with the repair!