Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

I have a Ford Focus hatchback 2005 MK2. - I parked my car on

I have a Ford Focus hatchback 2005 MK2.- I parked my car on the street for a week after a***** it was raining, and temperature has been low lately, -2 ~ 5 degrees.
- My hand brake was up during the parking.I tried to move the car but it seems that the rear wheel is locked like I have my hand brake on/up. This has happened to me 3~4 times but I have always managed to release it by going drive and reverse for a few times, but this time it wouldn't release it. However, the left read wheel seems to be released, as I was able to drive forward, and I see there's a dragging line on the ground left by the rear right wheel.I have heard that I could take the wheel off and give the wheel drum a few knocks with a rubber mullet, or a roundhouse kick to the drum. Or what else should can I do?
Hi, my names Ross. Hopefully I can assist with your question. This is fairly common, it happens as a result of corrrosion build up on the friction surfaces and low temperatures. The safest way to release the brake is exactly how you mentioned, by removing the wheel. Unfortunately, removing the wheel is the only safe way to release the brake, doing it with the car on the ground can be very dangerous as it will often suddenly release and allow the car to roll, there are also problems with space to give the brake a good blow with the mallet. You can try to gently roll the car back on forth on the clutch, as it sounds like you have tried this with no luck I wouldn't advise forcing it further as it can cause further damage. The vehicles front wheels should be chocked, slacken the wheel bolts just enough so they are able to be turned once raised. Raise the effected corner using a jack as described in the vehicle owners manual and secure the vehicle on an axle stand, remove the wheel and gently tap the brakes with the handbrake release untill it becomes free. If there is still no luck, the brakes will need to be dismantled and repaired. Once the brake is released, I'd highly advise they are checked over for damage to the linings and given a good clean up to help prevent this happening again. I hope this helps answer your question, please feel free to get back to me if you need any further help. Thanks, Ross.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
34;doing it with the car on the ground can be very dangerous as it will often suddenly release and allow the car to roll" I am on a very flat ground do you think this will still be the case?- "gently roll the car back on forth on the clutch, as it sounds like you have tried this with no luck I wouldn't advise forcing it further as it can cause further damage. " What kind of damage I would have caused? As I have stalled my car 2 times by doing this.- "the brakes will need to be dismantled and repaired" - Could this be done by myself? What kind of tools do I need?- I have managed to jack up the car on the rear right side, but couldn't turn the wheel. Is the rear wheel supposed to to be turnable separately? Or is it turnable only both wheels are lifted up?- How much would it cost to do this on average?Thanks!
Hi, I would never recommend doing it on the ground as you also have to get under the car, if this needs to be done in an emergency it can be done with both wheels chocked and vehicle in gear, however I suspect you would struggle to get a good swing on it from the underside on the focus due to the height and rear axle design. Rolling the vehicle excessively on the clutch will over heat the clutch, but more importantly can tear the break linings off the shoes/pads or rip the entire brake back plate apart in worst cases. If the engine stalled no damage is likely but viciously forcing it can do damage. Both rear wheels will turn freely and independently with the vehicle raised. I wouldn't recommend attempting a repair without the correct tools and knowledge as it's a vital brake component, it also involves separating wheel bearing to remove drums and correct setting procedure. Most mobile mechanics would get this fixed and serviced/adjusted within 2 hours labour (average £45 per hour). A garage will be the same however recovery charges would apply if it cannot be driven to them.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I see. I appreciate you taking time answering my questions! Have a nice day!