Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

I have a polo, and like a lot of people have brake drum

I have a polo, and like a lot of people have brake drum problems where the wheel doe not always immediately release. This seems like an endemic issue why does VW not recall cars? Who pays for the car to be fixed?
Assistant: Besides this, what condition is the car in?
Customer: Fine , only done 12000 miles from new
Assistant: What is the model/year of your VW?
Customer: 2016 , sorry can’t remember exact model
Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It does release if I drive the car backwards and forwards. In addition if I drive through puddles then a get a terrible metal screeching noice
Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That’s it
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Have booked it into VW , they say breaks need a service. But am I liable to pay ?
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I can help with your question. Is your polo still under the manufacturers warranty?
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
No
Ok. Unfortunately you will be liable for the cost of the diagnostics at least. I would advise speaking to your service advisor in your local dealership about the problem. Although it's not a recall there may be a repair campaign on this problem in which case VW may have extended the warranty or revised the parts. They sometimes contribute towards this. In some cases the matter can be resolved via VW UK customer help line who can work along side your dealer.