sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

Diff lock indicator constantly flashing. started all on its

diff lock indicator constantly flashing. started all on its own, diff lock not engaged, have tried going into 4x4 modes without success. appears to be electrical problem as I disconnected battery for half an hr and went off. came back on when I switched engine off/on to refuel.
Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: all good
Assistant: What is the model/year of your Volkswagen?
Customer: 2011 trendline
Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have driven across to Victoria from WA haven't had a chance to look at it properly. I was going to change the oil as a forum has suggested that initially.
Assistant: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: i think that's it just looking for a solution without replacing major expensive parts. thnx
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thnx nicola, will ne keen to see what they come up with..

Hi, my name is***** your mechanic automotive expert, and I will be happy to assist you today. In some cases, I may need more information to assist better. I apologize for any delay.

I try to be here most weekdays and some weekends. If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.
I would like to help you dear customer, do you still need help? if so , i would like to know the mileageof your VW and what are the last maintenances you have done to your car?
Thanks in advance.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hello Jose, the vehicle is a 2011 2lt manual amarok. it has only done 127000km. the scheduled book services have been done as required.
the car was recently serviced and safety checked. No issues were identified by the mechanics.
they did suggest the diff oil and brake fluid be replaced soon.The flashing diff lock light came on after I drove onto gravel and turned around, I have tried several different methods of trying to reset the light . The only time that it went of was after I disconnected the battery for about half an hr. It was off until I stopped for fuel and turned off / on the engine since then has remained on.
It has not engaged the diff lock at all, only the warning light continues to flash. 4x4 High and low still works and engages ok.
Any assistance you can provide would be great. Even to the point where the diff lock can be disconnected and the light bypassed.
I don't no use the vehicle in 4x4 much at all, I think since new it has been in high range 4x4 twice in its life.
Looking forward to your assistance and guidance
regards
Peter

Dear customer, I understand your query, as you will see this indicator 4x 4 on occasion. Although not all the time is like this, everything depends on the circumstances or the type of failure that occurs.

First, let me explain why when you disconnect the battery the indicator goes off what you are doing unconsciously is a restart of the system you are practically forcing the computer or download all the capacitors disconnecting the battery and in this way the vehicle is restarted. Obviously all the error codes are erased and simply until the computer does not return to receive the error, the error code does not turn on again because this last a while working in this way.

Now dear customer, this does not mean that the problem presented is purely electrical, on the contrary you may be presenting a mechanical problem easily, this is why there may be various factors that cause this inconvenience, given this I want to make the following recommendations .

Dear customer always the best way to proceed is to perform a computerized diagnosis in this way you will have access to the precise error code that is causing this failure, but this diagnosis can not be made by a generic obd2 diagnostic equipment, this type of diagnostics must be made of a diagnostic equipment that owns the software for your Volkswaguen, the equipment used to perform these diagnostics is known as VAGCOM are very good equipment used in several garages and have access to all vehicle systems including traction and transmission.

Now dear customer, regarding the possible faults or the possible causes of this inconvenience in fact the list is a bit long, but how this inconvenience occurred can be simply left to the ground through which you passed could have entered dirt or moisture to the connectors of the system 4x4, and this is why the failure occurred because this humidity can damage considerably the connections of this system. But do not worry, very probably doing a good maintenance this problem will be solved.

It may also be that one of the components was hit causing the transfer or differential to slip out of place. Therefore the computer recognizes this and turns on the indicator by disabling traction according to the case.

Do you understand what i told you dear customer?

sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience: Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thanks Jose, understood..
I will take the vehicle to VW and get them to run a diagnostic check in its current state. As you say error code may indicate the problem. Iwll arrange for the diff oil to be changed also to see if we have any metal particles for a mechanical failure. I have driven nearly 3000 km since the light has come on and all appears ok but will check anyway. Thankyou for your guidance, will follow through with your recommendations
.regards Peter