Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

It’s not handling as it use to I’ve had the car 6 years and

It’s not handling as it use to I’ve had the car 6 years and in that time no trouble but in the last 5 months it’s not steering like it did and I don’t feel safe driving it. I took it in to my local garage who say the steering shaft is fine and they can’t find anything wrong the the ball joints but I’m not safe. Any thoughts as I’m seriously thinking of selling it as I’m a lady on my own driving on back road in country. Help please
Assistant: Have you checked the fluids?
Customer: What fluids? This should be done on service or not?
Assistant: What is the model/year of your Kia?
Customer: It’s a Kia Sorento kx3 2012
Assistant: Are you fixing your Sorento yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No. Sorry got cut off
Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. Just really worried about driving it.

Hi..there..

Can you describe exactly what the steering is doing or when it occurs more so etc?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
It’s like I’m on ice on corners and not in control of the steering. It’s intermittent some days it’s fine but I drive in the country so I no roads can be muddy etc but it’s not to do with mud or oil or wet conditions it does it on dry clear roads. Help
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
No

Ok.. Assuming they have checked the entire suspension system for any wear around the balljoints,bushings, top mounts, front subframe, antiroll bar links and arb bushings - checked steering rack, inc any play in the outer track rods ends and inner tie rods.the only other thng that kind of leaves is the tyres,have they swapped the back ones with the front to see if any change occurs? might be worth doing that..to rule out a tyre problem or low or too high psi..maybe ones damaged the bands within the tyre structure..causing that feeling of slipping

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
They put it through its check and had it up on a ramp which shock it around, he also took it on a test drive but as normal it didn’t do it on his very short test, but thank you I have had new tyres over the last year and yes they are all the same make and pattern etc but it might be worth me changing them around.

Might be worth doing swapping...the only other thing it could be which i doubt the shaker plates on a ramp would highlight is - bad shock absorbers..see if any are looking like they are leaking or damp..worth checking also..