sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

I have an intermittent rumble in my Forester rear

I have an intermittent rumble in my Forester rear suspension. My local garage has had it up on a ramp and has confirmed it is not the bearings. Not sure where to go from here?
JA: How has the ride been lately? Have you noticed any fluid under the car?
Customer: No fluid on the floor of the garage, the ride is fine and on smooth surfaces there is usually no noise
JA: What year is your Forester?
Customer: 2006
JA: Are you fixing your Forester yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Heavens no. My private mechanic has had a look and now the local repair garage in the village has had a look too, it was they who confirmed that it is not the bearings
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, there is nothing else to tell you

Hi, my name is***** your mechanic automotive expert, and I will be happy to assist you today. In some cases, I may need more information to assist better. I apologize for any delay.

I try to be here most weekdays and some weekends. If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.Did they checked the springs and rubbers?
Thanks in advance.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I think so as they had the car up on the ramp to look at the underside
Dear customer, thank you very much for your reply. My apologies for my long delay to reoly back I had some personal issues that didn't allow me to get online before.
Dear customer, I understand, could you tell me if this noise you present is constant? Or just produce when passing through irregular terrains or speed reducers?Also, if the noise is quite noticeable, let me indicate that you can upload a video to the YouTube platform and share it by this means, in this way I will be able to observe and hear this noise myself.Thank you.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
The rumble is spasmodic but is generally confined to rough surfaces. The 100 miles I covered on motorway at the weekend were fine

Dear customer if it is just limited to rigorous surfaces is a problem of suspension, but the truth dear customer suspension problems can not be solved simply by observing below the car. We have to apply a disarm or use a special suspension vibration machine.

A vibration machine is a machine where you ride the vehicle and begin to vibrate by the wheels this throws a reading like an electrocardiogram. What measures the vibrations, when the vibrations leave the normal range you will effectively be in a problem in one of the suspensions as the test is done by independent wheels or wheel by wheel. You will notice through this machine which is the one that has the disadvantage.

I understand in your query that they verified the suspension and its rubberss but there are some rubberss that are a bit complicated to visually verify them. They are the supports of the upper and lower part. These rubbers actually fulfill the function of remove noises, or simply absorbs the noise that can be produced when it hits metal with metal. Normally these are the main cause of noise in the suspension, I do not know how they did the verification but the best thing is always to disassemble to observe the state of the rubbers in a good way.

Also dear customer, another aspect that can cause noise and can not be verified with a single view is the same shock absorbers or springs. Remember that they have a hydraulic fluid inside. Not only fluid leaks. If there may be pressure loss which causes noise, so it is important to verify the suspension very well not only visually. The suspension tester equipment can help you minimize the work by indicating precisely where the suspension is producing the sound or the strange vibration.

Have you understood dear customer?

Dear Customer, my goal is to give you the best advice I can and I hope that I've helped today.
If more help is needed or something is not understood, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above). You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question. I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Best regards, Sebastian.