Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

Assistant: How can I help? I have a 2013 Mini s works

Assistant: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: I have a 2013 Mini Cooper s works
Assistant: Are you fixing your MINI yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: This morning I was on my way to work, for some reason the car wouldn’t go above 30mph and the engine management light was on.
Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: Any ideas?
Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Engine management light was illuminated
Customer: replied 3 months ago.

Hi.there

The engine management light means the cars ecu has detected a fault on the engine/emissions/sensors on the engine..normally when fault codes are stored the ecu will go into limp mode hence the reduced power and limited to 30mph..unless you have scan tool yourself? to determine what kind of fault is occuring..you will need to find a garage who has one to see what kind of problem your dealing with and take it from there..unless there is something obvious under the bonnet if you look around the engine itself to ensure nothing has come off plug wise etc..then you will need to have it plugged in to see what fault codes has been logged and then take it from there..once you have the codes then yu can return here with them and i'll try and help..in the meantime as above that's about all you can do from this point on..

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
On the dash it said reduced power and something to do with the catalytic converter??
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Any ideas off the top of your head?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It occasionally went above 30mph but then chuffed a lot and reduced power again.

Reduced power is limp home mode.. then if its an emissions related fault its showing..you would still need to have it scanned..as you need to determine if its a rich or weak fuel/air ratio issue- fuelling issue - ignition issue - evap fault - lambda sensor issue - or if the cat converter is blocked.. only by looking at the codes and then the live data on those as above would be able to get any frther forward to fixing this...it could be an ignition coil breaking down..i know they can be common for failing on those but you would need to see if it a misfire codes that stored or not..

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Okay thanks, ***** ***** it to a garage tomorrow morning then.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Last thing, would you say it’s safe to drive as I have it with me here at work?

If its still starting and running..then it should be fine..until as such you can get your garage to look at it..albeit the car being in reduced power mode in the meantime..

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Okay thanks

Ok..no problem..if you need to ask anything else then just continue on this post..

In the meantime if you could leave a rating/accept for me assisting with your question.it would be much appreciated..thank you