CarDoc
CarDoc, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  IMI L3 Motor Vehicle Mechanic
105313175

New engine mounting brackets have been welded to the chassis

New engine mounting brackets have been welded to the chassis of my mgb last weekend. The width at the top, measured against another old car ok but the angle of the mountings is incorrect and the gap is 1 cm larger than that measured on the old car. Is this gap acceptable or too big to be absorbed by the new rubber mountings
Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?
Customer: Regards
Assistant: What year is your MGB?
Customer: It will be a refurbished engine to be fitted. Car is1980
Assistant: Are you fixing your MGB yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes
Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Thank you for using JA.

From my experience, older vehicles don't have tight tolerances so, you may be fine because 5-10mm was acceptable back in the 80's. I don't think the real issue is whether the rubber mounting can absorb the shock or not. The real issue is, will it cause premature wear to the rubber mounting and other components that it will affect by being mounted in a slightly altered position. You will know this when the engine is fitted and will be able to see if the rubber component is already stress without it carrying the weight of the engine.