CarDoc
CarDoc, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  IMI L3 Motor Vehicle Mechanic
105313175

I have a Mercedez C180 Kompressor 1980. A message saying

I have a Mercedez C180 Kompressor 1980. A message saying that EPS is inoperative - refer to owners manual keeps coming up. Have tried turning the EPS button Off/On, but the message doesnt go away. Can you please advise?
JA: What is the make/model of your car?
Customer: Mercedez C180 Kompressor 1980
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm not very savvy with such matters myself, but have just spent nearly £2k on replacing my engine so I'm broke - and will attempt to fix it myself if its a simple fix
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?
Customer: Automatic. Replaced my engine (which had done 116,000 miles) with a used one which has 48,000 miles on the clock.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Thank you for using JA.

I think you mean ESP (Electronic Stability Program). The most common fault associated with this fault are the wheel speed sensors/reluctor ring but it's speculation without fault codes. You need to read the fault codes to see what is causing the light to turn on. If it's a wheel speed sensor issue, the fault code will indicate which wheel the fault is occuring on.

I hope I have answered your question, if you have anymore questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please don't forget to leave a 5-star rating. Your rating benefits me and helps me build my reputation. It is also a way to thank me for using my time and expertise to respond to customers. Thank you.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
4

The rating is given by using the stars/accept answer. Why did you choose 4 stars? Your feedback is essential for me to improve my service. Thank you

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Must I take it to a garage that has the star diagnostic machine or can I take it to any other garage?

You can take it to any garage that has a fairly decent diagnostic computer, main dealers are very expensive. The main suspect is a wheel speed sensor or ABS sensor as some people call it, if it is that then it's not an expensive repair.

If you are happy with my service, please rate it using the stars :) Thank you for using JA.

Please don't forget to leave a rating. Your rating benefits me and helps me build my reputation. It is also a way to thank me for using my time and expertise to respond to customers. Thank you.