sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

I have a Smart Fortwo and the engine light is showing on the

I have a Smart Fortwo and the engine light is showing on the dash. We took it in for a diagnostic test but have been told that they cannot complete the test as they are getting 2 Trouble Codes and have suggested that we get the sensors checked before a full diagnostic test can be completed. Can you suggest who we should see for help as we are new to the UK. I have been quote £168 for a test to be done by a Mercedes dealer, which seems very pricey!
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: No, I wouldn't even know know to. Who could I take the car to to check that for me?
JA: What year is your Fortwo?
Customer: 2009
JA: Are you fixing your Fortwo yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No. I have just taken it for a diagnostic test. I have no idea how to do anything car related myself!
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just need to know who can test the sensors and complete the diagnostic test.
Oleksandra-Moderator
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
please continue your search. I really need your help. Thank you.

Hi, my name is***** your mechanic automotive expert, and I will be happy to assist you today. In some cases, I may need more information to assist better. I apologize for any delay.

I try to be here most weekdays and some weekends. If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Dear customer, do you have the error codes the garage found in the diagnostic?
Thanks in advance.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hi Jose, thanks for getting back to me.Yes I have the Trouble codes. They are:2 Faults:P0135 / (OE-Factory code:P0135) Exhaust Gas Sensor HEater Monitor Bank 1 Sensor 1- Fault in electric circuitP0141 / (OE-Factory code:P0141) Exhaust Gas Sensor Heater Monitor Bank 1 Sensor 2Disturbed functionThe chap that ran the text said I should have the sensors checked before he could complete the diagnostic test and that I should go to Smart Car / Mercedes, but they charge £168 to run the test. I was hoping to find a solution without have to pay their exorbitant fees.Please let me know if you can see us today and if so, where are you and what is your fee?
thank you.
Hilary

Dear customer I apologize for the delay in communicating with you the time zone affects me a little.

Dear customer, first I want to indicate is that the error codes that you are presenting are related to failures in the exhaust system, in the exhaust of your Mercedes. There are some sensors responsible for measuring the amount of pollutants that come out of the exhaust, these sensors are the sensors that are throwing you the diagnostic equipment, normally the corrections of this failure lead to verification of the systems in a deeper way because what is happening is that the sensors of this exhaust are detecting a mixture not stoichiometric in the cylinders ( I.e that there is not an equal amount of fuel with an equal amount of air as it should be), this means that you have to verify the entire air intake system and the entire fuel injection system to be able to solve this fault which becomes tedious.

For this, first a monitoring is done and some tests to the exhaust sensors to corroborate that they are not defective and that the signals of the error codes is throwing them by problems in the sensor but not problems in the mixture.

This is why this review is always tend to be a little deep because it does not rule out the sensor and then proceeds to verify if there are problems either in the air intake or fuel injection.

Now dear customer, the technicians of just answer are in different parts of the world not only in United Kingdom, I for example am currently outside the United Kingdom and could not personally help you, therefore if you tell me your location, i could try to locate a garage that can help you with the diagnosis of this problem that you present, but the truth the check of the sensor, with the check of the fuel rail and air intake cost range is between 100 to 200 pounds, this is why I think that the price you are being given in the Mercedes is within the range.

Have you understood me dear customer?

Dear Customer, my goal is to give you the best advice I can and I hope that I've helped today.If more help is needed or something is not understood, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. You can rate at any time by selecting at the 5 stars rating system and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question. I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated and is the only way i receive credit.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc. which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.

Best regards, Sebastian.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thank you for your answer - yes that makes perfect sense. I appreciate your knowledge and advise. Many thanks.
Regards, Hilary

You are welcome Hilary. It is a pleasure can help.
Please do not forget to rate my service at the 5 stars rating system as is th eonly way i recieve credit, even after you rate, we can keep in touch.
Best regards, Sebastian.

sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience: Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes