sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

We have changed the battery in the fob and have charged the

We have changed the battery in the fob and have charged the battery on the car which all at once became flat. When we press the button on the fob to open the door the flashing key symbol does not go off and the indicators flash continuously, but it will not start. The car was first registered in DEC 2000
JA: Have you changed a battery before?
Customer: Yes both fob and car
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: It's a Smart for two 2000 left hand drive
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: We would like to fix it ourselves if possible but we don't know what to do now
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Don't think so

Hi, my name is***** your mechanic automotive expert, and I will be happy to assist you today. In some cases, I may need more information to assist better. I apologize for any delay.

I try to be here most weekdays and some weekends. If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Dear customer, the problem started just before charging up the car's battery?
thanks in advance.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it did

Dear customer what is happening in your vehicle is that when replacing the batteries, the system configuration between the control and the vehicle is deprogrammed, we have to re-program the system, unfortunately for your vehicle does not exist a manual way, likewise i'll give you the procedure to do a manual reset.

1) Turn the key to ON position without ignite the engine.
2) Disconnect the negative terminal of the battery.
3) Wait around 3 to 5 minutes to let all the modules delete its data.
4) Turn off the key and take it off.
5) Reconnect the negative terminal.
6) Turn again the key to ON position and wait around 30 seconds to let the modules restart.
7) Turn ON the car

As I observed that the vehicle does not even start, the reset may not work, this means that the key system is completely deprogrammed, If after doing the programming mentioned above the problem continues, we will have to use a special equipment such as a key programmer. This equipment is owned by car locksmiths companies that work with duplication of keys, programming controls, programming of ignitions. They go to the place where it is the car and with the special key programmer equipment make the programming of the immobilizer system again with the key, practically what is happening is an activation of the anti-theft immobilizer system that is inhibiting the ignition.

Dear customer do not worry this is actually something normal to happen with the passing of time. Always we have to take certain precautions, when replacing the control battery and the battery of the vehicle so that this does not happen although sometimes, it is inevitable.

The repair costs are not very high,I don't know very well the price of a programming today given that I'm out there, but they are usually jobs that don't cost a lot of pounds.

Have you understood me dear customer?

Dear Customer, my goal is to give you the best advice I can and I hope that I've helped today.If more help is needed or something is not understood, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. You can rate at any time by selecting at the 5 stars rating system and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question. I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated and is the only way i receive credit.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc. which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.

Best regards, Sebastian.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your reply, we will be unable to try your suggestion until tomorrow as the car broke down away from home .if your directions do not work I will be back in touch thank you so much

Ok dear customer, i will be attentive to your reply.
Even after you rate we can keep in touch.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi again we have just tried to start the car but the buttons on the key fob are not working properly, the only thing that happens when the buttons are whether the lock or open button is that the hazard warning light flash very quickly.

Did you already reprogram the keys and key fob as i mentioned above?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We have a mechanic coming on Monday to do that. Thank you

You are welcome dear customer, even after you rate we can keep in touch in case any further doubt surges.
Best regards, Sebastian.