sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

I have a 2014 ML350, the steering column does not go up and

I have a 2014 ML350, the steering column does not go up and down and is fixed in the up postion but does go in and out.
JA: Have you checked the fluids?
Customer: sorry i am not mechanically minded. When you refer to the fluids do you mean the power steering
JA: Are you fixing your ML350 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: wasn't going to. I am out of warranty but wanted some knowledge before speaking to MB. So far i have just played with the little steering stick on the left of the steering wheel.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: is there a charge for there knowledge
JA: The Expert's answer will cost $10 to $100, depending on the issue type and time to respond. You'll see the exact amount on the next page and can decide then. It's way less expensive and more convenient than any face-to-face visit.
Customer: so i do not need to pay for anything yet
JA: JustAnswer requires a modest payment. You'll see the amount on the next page. It's way less expensive and more convenient than any face-to-face visit.
Customer: where do i feind the next page
Hi, my name is***** your mechanic automotive expert, and I will be happy to assist you today. In some cases, I may need more information to assist better. I apologize for any delay.I try to be here most weekdays and some weekends. If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.Dear customer, I would like to clarify is you mean that the steering adjustment is not working or if it is getting hard to turn.
Thanks in advance.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Steering is fine I can not move it up and down electronically to set the best driving height.

Dear customer, forgive me the delay in communicating with you , my apologies.
Thank you for clarifying the problem with the steering column. This helps me a lot to understand your query.
The adjustment of the height of the steering wheel or of the steering column is done through an electronic system which has a joint activator with a mechanism that is responsible for going up and down. This is strictly related to a electronic and electric wiring system.
There are several aspects that can cause your failure being the simplest a simple fuse burned, because this is the most common thing to happen, in the area that you see under the steering wheel, you will find some covers, these covers are those that contain the fuse box of the internal area of ​​the vehicle. These fuses control the lights, the air conditioning systems, the dahsboard etc, including just the position of the steering column of the steering wheel. It is common that sometimes there are certain voltage surges in the system that can cause a certain fuse to burn, therefore this is the first thing we should always check for these fuses.

Second, if the problem is not in the fuses, the technician will proceed to verify through a diagnostic equipment the error codes of the vehicle. If in such case, it will come to present error codes related to the steering or to the management system , simply the technician will observe through a scanner, the electronic operation and the readings of all the components of the steering system. Including the leveling of the position of the steering column of the steering wheel, according to this the technician is going to indicate if there is something that is going to be replace it.

After the fuses, what is more frequent that this fault can cause, are the problems in the connections that go to the controller or that go to the mechanized system, simply the technician after checking the fuses will proceed to perform a revision of the wiring and system connections. And already if in all this before mentioned, the problem is not corrected, the technician will have to disassemble and verify component by component to observe which is failing.

Have you understood me dear customer?

Dear Customer, my goal is to give you the best advice I can and I hope that I've helped today.If more help is needed or something is not understood, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. You can rate at any time by selecting at the 5 stars rating system and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question. I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated and is the only way i receive credit.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc. which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.

Best regards, Sebastian.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you no call required

You are welcome, it is a pleasure can help. If any further help is required even after you rate we can keep in touch.
Please do not forget to rate as is the only way i recieve credit for my answer.
best wishes, Sebastian.